Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Ive recently joined this website and thought that I would see what you thought about altering diet to help IBS symptoms. I went to visit a dietician last week to see if she could come up with any pointers to help change my diet in order to relieve my symptoms...and although it cost a bomb I am hoping it does help. I was just wondering if anyone else has visited a dietician and if so how did it go? did it help? and if not have any of you found relief from changing your diet?
x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,Ive recently joined this website and thought that I would see what you thought about altering diet to help IBS symptoms. I went to visit a dietician last week to see if she could come up with any pointers to help change my diet in order to relieve my symptoms...and although it cost a bomb I am hoping it does help. I was just wondering if anyone else has visited a dietician and if so how did it go? did it help? and if not have any of you found relief from changing your diet?
x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,Sorry about the last post - am not sure what I did wrong!!I would be really interested to hear what the dietician recommended to you, if poss. I have mostly IBS-C. What about you?I have see a dietician also, but did not feel that she was much help-in fact she confused me more.Any tips would be very useful to meWelcome to the site - it's nice to see someone not too far away from Leeds!!CheersJane x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,Sorry about the last post - am not sure what I did wrong!!I would be really interested to hear what the dietician recommended to you, if poss. I have mostly IBS-C. What about you?I have see a dietician also, but did not feel that she was much help-in fact she confused me more.Any tips would be very useful to meWelcome to the site - it's nice to see someone not too far away from Leeds!!CheersJane x
Hi Jane,Well I have had my initial conultation with her where she took down lots of details such as symptoms, lifestyle factors and I had to give her a food diary and I am seeing her on friday this week so she can give me advice on what to change in my diet. I'm hoping that it will help as I have not tried to tackle diet as of yet. Why did you feel that the dietician didnt help? Like what confused you? I have IBS-A whichive suffered from for 5 years. To be honest the worst problem for me is mt stimach making loud noises, gas and I have quite bad social anxiety which I am trying relieve as it makes my symptoms worse. How long have you had IBS-D? Yes
deffo nice to here from someone close by that has similar issuesThanks x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, well im off to see the dietician again 2moro 2 see if she cud give me any help with what to eat/avoid and what other dietary supplements I should take. I'll keep everyone posted on here...hope it helps.Liberty x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HiJane,I had my appointment with the dietician last week and the advice has confused me a little too. There are some good pointers that she has given me but I think some have made me feel worse. For example she told me to introduce my fibre but did not say by how much and I have later found that a fast increase can worsen symptoms. Also she told me to eat more wholemeal products (insoluble fibre) which I know that I and many other IBS sufferers do not tolerate well. I have decided that I do need to introduce my dietary fibre but maiinly the soluble varety i.e. white bread, rice and fruits without their skin. I can still eat some insoluble fibre but never on an empty stomach and always with a meal where there is more soluble fibre. She also told me to take a probiotic& Prebiotic to help to build up the good bacteria in my gut and to take a digestive enzyme to aid digestion. In addition she suggested fennel tea/chewing on fennel seeds to help with the bloating and gas. I am also going to cut out my main trigger foods i.e. alcohol, caffeine, takeaways (other high fat food), spicy foods, garlic, sweets etc and then see how I go eating more healthy using the supplements. When I can afford to I am also going to get a food intolerance test done. Dont know if you recieved any advice like this or whether it will help but if you havent already you could maybe look into the soluble fibre for your IBS-C.Please get back to me if you can because I would like to know what you thinkThanks
xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts