Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
They say that the bowel can become dependant on stimulant laxatives, so you may want to have a discussion with your doctor about that and follow his/her lead. One book I have recommends not taking them for more than a few days at a time. But it didn't say how long one needs to take a break before the next time. Also recommendations may be different for people with chronic vs occasional constiption and I don't have that info. I think the main concern is that one can be someone with occasional constipation and turn it into a chronic condition by overdoing the laxative thing. But if your already chronic, maybe it is viewed differently.Have you tried adding fiber and water to the diet? K.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've got a box of that in the house I was supposed to use right after Chemo, but I nixed it after the first time -- such cramping and hardening! I tried to get by without it, because the anti-nausea drugs do get you constipated. I used warm prune juice and oatmeal and fibrous bread. After a few days everything seem to loosen up. I read on various web sites that after long term use it makes the fingrers and toes longer (Hey, don't ask me!) But Senna has some unusual properites.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've been IBS-C a long time. I have an extensive regime daily which helps including citrucel, stool softeners, magnesium citrate, Ezekiel bread and lots of water. However, even with all that, I still don't 'go' properly all of the time. I use Peridiem (with senna ) about 2-3 times a month. The pharmacist I talked to said that should not be a problem. So, I don't know if it is really OK or not. I only know that it is the 1 thing that has really given me relief when I need it. Too bad it has addictive qualities. I think that someone posted a good question though, could it be that with chronic C, perhaps it is OK to use more often? I'd like to know your Dr.'s response when you ask him/her about long term use for chronic C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.