Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Serious Bloating and pain for 2 weeks. Please help

1K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  chmiel0613 
#1 ·
Hi there. I am new to this website and I have been learning a lot from all of you. Thanks. I have had IBS-C for several years now and it has and still is getting worse. Recently I have had a bad few weeks, but the bloating is HORRIBLE. I can't fit into any of my clothes and it is painful morning, noon, and night. I only have one kidney, so I try to stay away from meds, but I am willing to try something if anyone has any idea what is hepful. I can't even sleep. Thanks.

#2 ·
Chmiel,I had the same kind of symptoms, plus a lot of gas. I read a whole bunch of information on this site and decided to try different things based on what others told me. I was told to STAY AWAY FROM GASSY FOODS AND SUGAR. That was really important. Then, I looked into a SOLUBLE FIBER DIET and eventually I added insoluble fibers. I also take DIETARY ENZYMES with my food to relieve the symptoms and also began taking PROBIOTICS. I also read to drink LOTS OF WATER and EXERCISE. After 2-1/2 weeks of doing these things religiously, I am going about 3-4 times a week which greatly reduces the gas and bloating. I hope that one or more of those suggestions help you.

#4 ·
I love my enteric coated peppermint capsules. Most health food stores have them....They just work in the gut...lower gut...drink a lot of water when you take it and they usually just pass through the stomach and release the oil in the lower gut...they really help. For the meantime, try a heating pad on your tummy...when I get episodes I do that...it does seem to ease the pain. Good luck.

#5 ·
Thanks again, I definitely plan on trying the peppermint capsules. I never thought of a heating pad. Sounds like it might help. Do you know if the peppermint capsules are dangerous at all, or if they have any side effects? I know it sounds like a dumb questions, but I have never heard of them before. Thanks again.

#6 ·
I've beem experiencing lots of gas and pain in my left side, just below my ribs. Finally I pursuided my doctor to prescribe Librax- took it for the first time last nite and had the first full night, pain freee sleep in days. Today woke, still with lots of gas and some pain,but plan to continue the Librax and also, after finally mastering my CD player, started Mikes tapes= hoping that between the Librax and tapes I'll be OK.

#7 ·
ChmielPeppermint oil is not harmful at all. I also drink peppermint tea, which is a bit of an aquired taste.I agree with everything that Gassy Girl says & for me gentle exercise really helps & makes a big difference if I am constipated.You have to remember that we are all different & all react differently to different foods - fiber especially, introduce it gradually, because if you have lived on a low fiber diet before now it can cause a lot of gas.One thing that has made a really big difference for me is to avoid processed food as much as possible, ie - tinned food & ready meals, as they are full of additives. I know it takes a lot of prep, but homemade wholefoods tend to be much gentler on your system. One last thing. Make sure you really chew your food, so that it is liquid in your mouth, this makes it more digestible.Best of luck & feel better soon.

#9 ·
I don't have GERD or rarely heartburn but peppermint have gave me a burning flammes in my ass.The brand was Colpermin which is entero-coated i think.As for the others brand,i have no temptation since the peppermint tea cause me troubles.

#10 ·
Thank you so much everyone. I am really focusing on chewing my food more. I have always been a quick eater. I tend to eat pretty healthy, but I do eat fast and I figured that was going to bother me at some point. I tried my first peppermint capsule after dinner tonight. So far nothing big, but I spoke to my GI doctor today and he told me to make sure I take it for a few weeks because taking something once or twice will not really determine if it is working or not for me. He was really supportive of the digestive enzyme and he also prescribed me a pill that disolves under my tongue for colon spasms. He only wants me to take this when I am really constipated and having lower bowel pain. I will get the exact name and let everyone know if it helps. Once again, thank you soooooo much. I really appreciate it. I went to bed crying for three nights in a row. It was terrible. ByeChmiel

#11 ·
Well, here I am again at 3:41am with more pain than ever from gas on the right side, despite the Librax and also eating very carefully- fish and a few veggies, and not eating my largest meal early in the day and finally mastered my cd player and started Mikes hypnotherapy again. Was so hopeful till now. Had tried peppermint tablets a while ago and found their taste coming back later in the day. Also tried milk of magnesia for a while but it didnt seem to do anything. Have avoided the prune juice and coffee which until now seemed to always relieve my constipation. Even though I dont feel constipated now, think there must be a long standing blockage in my intestines in that upper right side, so plan to try another laxative plus prune juice and coffee in the am. Just hope I can relieve the pain till then. Hesitate to see my gastroenterologist again since his advice didnt seem to help. I still have his prescription for Zelnorm, as well as several sample packets- seriously considering giving the Zelnorm a try again, even though the last time I had pain like this I blamed it on the Zelnorm. Wondering now if anything at all works for very long. Sorry to be going on and on like this, but hopeing someone reading this will have some ideas for me.

#12 ·
Jeanne M, I completely understand what you are going through. I am still researching a lot to find out something about this excessive bloating and trapped gas. I am on the peppermint caps now, but have only been using them for a few days. I don't know exactly how well they are working. I do yoga, eat very healthy and try to relax, but nothing. I exercise daily and as for water, people don't believe me when I tell them how much I drink. So, needless to say, I am not sure what to do myself. I will keep you updated on the peppermint caps and I think I may try a digestive enzyme. Maybe by reducing the constipation issues, I can help reduce the excessive bloating. Sorry. I feel for you.

#15 ·
My blockage is in the left side (not right)- at least the pain has lessened after I took stool softtner with laxative included- but still feel lots of gas on the left side- despite being very careful in what I eat. Am also continuing with my hypnotherapy cd's. Now considering seeing my gastroenterologist again, plus the doctor he recommended for training in behavioral therapy (cant remember the exact term for it). Feel my IBS has worsened and that I need more professional help. Will let you all know how I make out. Thanks to all who have responded here.

#18 ·
Today is terrible. I have been doing everything I possibly can to stay healthy and eat healthy. Today, my lower stomach is very bloated and it feels nauseated. I only had a small BM this morning, but the urge to go several times throughout the day. Every time I try to go my hemmeroid starts to swell and bleed. I feel like I am dieing. I can't take it. I am drinking a Eater's Digest tea right now. I sure hope it works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#19 ·
I wrote to the maker of the gastric pacemaker,the said that they don't have a device for IBS.I wonder if the people who answer the e-mail are all STUPIDs in these companies.
I think that the gastic pacemaker can help some of us with motility disorders.

#20 ·
I have to say that since January this year I am not eating any sugar at all. I read my lables because I found out that even salt contains sugar. I neither eat nor drink anything that contains milk products, and my wheat consumption is minimal (I do not eat pasta). My tummy is flat. These days I get a little bloated if I eat more than two pieces of fruit or bread.Hope this helps.

#22 ·
I cook everything from scratch, I do not buy anything prepared. A typical breakfast is sweet potato with cinnamon, some days a slice of bread (that I make myself from scratch), a small glass of home-made soy milk without any sugar at all, and coffee. Lunch usually is nuts (I tost in the cast iron skillet raw almonds and cashews), a very small fruit like a pear (bananas and apples are a no-no for me), steamed white rice with sesame seeds, red bell pepper, celery and olive oil (like a rice salad, but cooked), or steamend plantains (if green with saffron), if riped with cinnamon, or stir fried mung beans with broccoli, peppers, dandelions, mushrooms (oyster mushrooms only, the other mushroomns are a wee bit gassy). For dinner it is usually brown rice, and at least four kinds of steamed veggies. If I have beans, they are home made, and I do not eat more than two tablespoons of cooked beans. I sprout mung beans. Mung beans provide lots of protein and are gas free. Since I make soy milk, from the soy milk I make tofu, but comercial tofu is fine if fresh. Do not buy the tofu that you find on the shelves, only buy the tofu in the refrigerated section of the grocery.For desert there is always a small pice of fruit or a small wedge of avocado.Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.