Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi therelast year my parent split up and when my dad returned he had bought us all tickets to go on holiday this summer.I found out today that the airport we fly into is 'Palma' in Spain. The problem is that the transfer time is 2 - 2 1/2 hours! thats really scary for me. Even the first is 1 1/2 hours away! what will I do if im ill? oh no! no one will understand if im ill. ill be stuck on a coach without a loo (YES - i checked!), in the middle of dessert with no-where to stop if I need to!.......no-where! i cant hold it when i get ill, so what would I do???? 2 1/2 hours is a VERY long time for me. I am currently being diagnosed, but I get chronic diorrea/loose stools (D) and cramping pains. Im scared ill get cought out and am considering not going and loosing deposit.If I were to take Immodium or something, would it stop me having D? and stop pains? definately?

·
Registered
515 Posts
well.. have you tried immodium before?? for the most part, i'd say it usually works for people, but there is no definitly with our condition
if you can, try immodium out a few times before hand (dont overuse, or it could stop working!) see if it work.. if it doesnt, try something else! maybe your doctor can prescribe a short term anti anxiety drug to keep you calm through the trip. or maybe you could take nytol and sleep through it?? explore all your option and find what works for you!

·
Registered
515 Posts
well.. have you tried immodium before?? for the most part, i'd say it usually works for people, but there is no definitly with our condition
if you can, try immodium out a few times before hand (dont overuse, or it could stop working!) see if it work.. if it doesnt, try something else! maybe your doctor can prescribe a short term anti anxiety drug to keep you calm through the trip. or maybe you could take nytol and sleep through it?? explore all your option and find what works for you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imodium is my choice when I know I am going to be unable to use the restroom or some important occasion that cant be interrupted. It is the only thing that works for me that I can pretty much gaurentee I wont have to go.It a good suggestion to try it a couple times and see if it works for you. And try not to be anxious about the trip it may make the problem worse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imodium is my choice when I know I am going to be unable to use the restroom or some important occasion that cant be interrupted. It is the only thing that works for me that I can pretty much gaurentee I wont have to go.It a good suggestion to try it a couple times and see if it works for you. And try not to be anxious about the trip it may make the problem worse.

·
Registered
518 Posts
From now until the summerholidays there is some time to find out if any of the things against D work. It would be such a shame if you worry about this all the time (though I really understand your worries). I've had very urgent D-attacks since my early teens (am now 45). After finding this BB I've tried the calcium carbonate (if you want to know more about it, go to the bottom of this page to the 'Hop To'-link and click on the Over The Counter Forum, there you can find plenty of info about it, here's a link to a thread on that Forum: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c&f=42&t=000002 Caltrate Plus is sold by Boots and I saw it also in a big Safeway. It has really helped me by taking off the edge of the urgency and firming up the BMs. Immodium is something that you can try out too. Hope you will get a lot of answers and will find something to help you here,Fay

·
Registered
518 Posts
From now until the summerholidays there is some time to find out if any of the things against D work. It would be such a shame if you worry about this all the time (though I really understand your worries). I've had very urgent D-attacks since my early teens (am now 45). After finding this BB I've tried the calcium carbonate (if you want to know more about it, go to the bottom of this page to the 'Hop To'-link and click on the Over The Counter Forum, there you can find plenty of info about it, here's a link to a thread on that Forum: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c&f=42&t=000002 Caltrate Plus is sold by Boots and I saw it also in a big Safeway. It has really helped me by taking off the edge of the urgency and firming up the BMs. Immodium is something that you can try out too. Hope you will get a lot of answers and will find something to help you here,Fay

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Pop some Immodiums, you'll be fine. If you really want to be safe try adult diapers. Calcium pills constipate - so you can try to start that previous to going on the trip.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Pop some Immodiums, you'll be fine. If you really want to be safe try adult diapers. Calcium pills constipate - so you can try to start that previous to going on the trip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck, try to relax the best you can.It will be difficult but once you have done it you will feel so much better in yourself.The immodium will help but I would endorse the others and suggest you try it out first.I suffer from anxiety before long trips and have found even having some imodium in my pocket helps, just in case!Have a good time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck, try to relax the best you can.It will be difficult but once you have done it you will feel so much better in yourself.The immodium will help but I would endorse the others and suggest you try it out first.I suffer from anxiety before long trips and have found even having some imodium in my pocket helps, just in case!Have a good time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only thing that really stops it for very long is to double my dosage of Bentyl I'm supposed to take 20 mg but when it starts if I'm in a bad place I take 2 and sometimes an Amod AD too. It makes me draggy but usually gives me relief for a few hours.It is very scary for us to be where you know there is no "loo". I won't go on a cruise cause I would be afraid to get off the ship. Good luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only thing that really stops it for very long is to double my dosage of Bentyl I'm supposed to take 20 mg but when it starts if I'm in a bad place I take 2 and sometimes an Amod AD too. It makes me draggy but usually gives me relief for a few hours.It is very scary for us to be where you know there is no "loo". I won't go on a cruise cause I would be afraid to get off the ship. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts