Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is are there any 5-HT3 or 5-HT4 receptor type drugs that have been shown to help those with IBS C and D together? Has either lotronex or zelnorm/zelmac ever been shown to help those with IBS C&D together?thank u!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Antidepressants are 5HT medications which can help or hinder IBS. It depends on the drug and on the individual. SSRIs are commonly prescribed for IBS. I don't know how they would work for cyclic C and D - perhaps they would just even it out? It would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about antidepressants. I use Remeron which is the first NaSSA - a Noradrenergic and Specific Serotonergic Antidepressant. It has helped me with IBS D and pain. Here is some information for you on the role of serotonin in IBS, just incase you haven't already seen it. http://www.medscape.com/CMECircle/Gastroen...1/CME01-03.html Best wishes,

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Antidepressants are 5HT medications which can help or hinder IBS. It depends on the drug and on the individual. SSRIs are commonly prescribed for IBS. I don't know how they would work for cyclic C and D - perhaps they would just even it out? It would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about antidepressants. I use Remeron which is the first NaSSA - a Noradrenergic and Specific Serotonergic Antidepressant. It has helped me with IBS D and pain. Here is some information for you on the role of serotonin in IBS, just incase you haven't already seen it. http://www.medscape.com/CMECircle/Gastroen...1/CME01-03.html Best wishes,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information Susan. I guess what I'm really wondering about is if either lotronex or Zelnorm have been tested on C/D types. If the majority of IBSers are both C and D then maybe they have been.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information Susan. I guess what I'm really wondering about is if either lotronex or Zelnorm have been tested on C/D types. If the majority of IBSers are both C and D then maybe they have been.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ask your doctor. I swear by my doctor & she told me that she had great results with the following drugs. I take Remeron for IBS D. It works !!!Remeron blocks the 5ht3 receptor (like Lotronex).Zoloft blocks the 5ht4 receptor (like Zelnorm).I know a guy who saw her for IBS CD. He is on Zoloft. He told me it works VERY well for him.But everybody is different. It is worth a try I guess.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ask your doctor. I swear by my doctor & she told me that she had great results with the following drugs. I take Remeron for IBS D. It works !!!Remeron blocks the 5ht3 receptor (like Lotronex).Zoloft blocks the 5ht4 receptor (like Zelnorm).I know a guy who saw her for IBS CD. He is on Zoloft. He told me it works VERY well for him.But everybody is different. It is worth a try I guess.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
From what I've read it appears that Lotronex (5-HT3) may make constipation worse so may not be good for alternaters.Zelnorm was tested (at least preliminary) with diarrhea prone and it seemed to relieve pain and not make the diarrhea worse.Most of the antidepressants have both constipation and diarrhea as side effects so the results can be variable between people and so like for just IBSC or D you may have to do some trial and error to find the one that works best for you (just like they are highly variable for depression X works great for Y but not ABC or D)K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
From what I've read it appears that Lotronex (5-HT3) may make constipation worse so may not be good for alternaters.Zelnorm was tested (at least preliminary) with diarrhea prone and it seemed to relieve pain and not make the diarrhea worse.Most of the antidepressants have both constipation and diarrhea as side effects so the results can be variable between people and so like for just IBSC or D you may have to do some trial and error to find the one that works best for you (just like they are highly variable for depression X works great for Y but not ABC or D)K.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
fred, everyone is focused on serotonin-based cures for women with ibs-d at the moment I'm afraid because that's where the money is.tom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
fred, everyone is focused on serotonin-based cures for women with ibs-d at the moment I'm afraid because that's where the money is.tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the answers. I am starting to think that while zelnorm is focused on IBS C and Lotronex on IBS D, it isn't that clean cut. I just find it hard to imagine that there's that many people out there with such clear cut cases of IBS C or D and not a mixture of the two. It does sound like Lotronex is really for those leaning heavily towards IBS D. I wonder what the effect of taking both Lotronex and Zelnorm together would be on those with IBS C&D.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the answers. I am starting to think that while zelnorm is focused on IBS C and Lotronex on IBS D, it isn't that clean cut. I just find it hard to imagine that there's that many people out there with such clear cut cases of IBS C or D and not a mixture of the two. It does sound like Lotronex is really for those leaning heavily towards IBS D. I wonder what the effect of taking both Lotronex and Zelnorm together would be on those with IBS C&D.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Zoloft blocks the 5ht4 receptor (like Zelnorm).
No, Zelnorm enhances activity at the 5HT4 receptor. Zoloft does not appear to interact directly with any serotonin receptor.Since the above may be confusing note that...I didn't say it didn't affect serotonin levels (meaning levels inside nerve synapses), only on how it does so. I skimmed through Medline and noted nothing to say it interacts directly with serotonin receptors. Presumably, it works exclusively on the serotonin uptake transporter, which is a separate entity from the serotonin receptors.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Zoloft blocks the 5ht4 receptor (like Zelnorm).
No, Zelnorm enhances activity at the 5HT4 receptor. Zoloft does not appear to interact directly with any serotonin receptor.Since the above may be confusing note that...I didn't say it didn't affect serotonin levels (meaning levels inside nerve synapses), only on how it does so. I skimmed through Medline and noted nothing to say it interacts directly with serotonin receptors. Presumably, it works exclusively on the serotonin uptake transporter, which is a separate entity from the serotonin receptors.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
according to Collins (Canadian J of Gastroenterology, 2001) 5-ht4 agonists accelearte transit and facilitate defecation - this from the actual article and not just the abstract sounds like a pretty direct action to me?my understanding of uptake inhibitors is that they remove particles so they don't reach the receptors and so other particles can fir into the receptors and the receptors, particles, and inhibitors are all part of one system? I'm sure there's someone on the bb who's actually taken a course in basic neurophysiology that might shed some light on this whole thing.tom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts