Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the results of my bloodwork back (my doctor appointment is in a few days) and my serum ferritin is lower than it was at my last test, which was a little over 4 months ago. And I have been on iron supplements for a little over 6 months now. Is there anything that would cause serum ferritin to drop while one is taking supplements??I felt much better (initially) after starting iron supps, but lately I am getting back some of the deficiency symptoms that I had originally (faintness, short of breath, weakness, feeling dizzy, etc). I've also noticed some other non-GI symptoms over the past 2-3 months such as tingling in my fingers (and sometimes tongue, oddly enough), bruising very easily, or bruises appearing when I don't recall anything that could have caused them, and small muscle twitches all over my body (limbs, face, torso, abdomen, everywhere)... not sure if any of this is related to the GI issues or not. Maybe I'm not absorbing nutrients correctly?? Anyone?I don't know, maybe I am just looking too hard for a problem, but something just seems "off" in my body and, other than the serum ferritin, all blood work continues to be normal.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you been tested for celiac? Some people with that cannot absorb iron efficiently so you could take supplements and still not get it into the blood.Do you have really heavy periods or any other kind of bleeding? Sometimes you can lose iron in the blood faster than you can replenish the iron, even with supplements. I know someone that had to have IV iron because she couldn't absorb it from the supplements that well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My celiac blood test was negative, but I have not had the upper GI and biopsy yet.I do have heavy periods, but they've been heavy for as long as I can remember... not sure why this wouldn't have surfaced earlier. Are muscle twitches and tingling extremities signs of iron deficiency? Those are relatively new; can't remember noticing them prior to a couple of months ago...Maybe, as you said, I am just losing iron faster than the supplement can replace it. Will talk to my doctor about this when I see her.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/underst...anemia-symptomsLists tingling more with low B-12 than with low iron anemia but it can be in the mix.I've had bad anemia (well severe symptoms from fairly mild anemia) and I hope they get you sorted out soon.If you haven't reported the new symptoms to the doctor I would do that. Sometimes things will pop up over time that help them finally get the right treatment.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... I hope they get you sorted out soon.
Me too.My doctor advised me to double the amount of iron I was taking, and also to try taking ibuprofen 3 times a day starting the day before my period begins, and continue throughout menstruation.I'm also scheduled for a gastroscopy with my GI doc on May 11. I bet a hundred bucks all results come back "normal"...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.