Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was reading http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/9197756/What-your-guts-telling-you-why-your-digestion-holds-the-key-to-your-health.html and was struck by the following quotes from Gershon (the Grand Lord of all things intestinal) himself :

According to Gershon, the gastrointestinal tract qualifies as a 'second brain' because it is an autonomous nervous system, the only part of the body that can function on its own.
'When I was at medical school I was taught erroneously that the brain controlled everything - including the gut,' he says. 'In fact, if you cut the vagus nerve - the major nerve between the brain and the gut - the gut would soldier on. We now know it can work completely independently of the brain and spinal cord. While the "first brain" gets on with religion, philosophy and poetry, the "second brain" deals with the messy business of digestion.'
and

'About 90 to 95 per cent of the vagus fibres are carrying signals from the gut to the brain - not the other way round,' says Gershon. 'The messages that come to consciousness are usually the ones we don't want to hear. Pain, discomfort, nausea. It could be saying, "Don't eat in that restaurant again!" But most of the messages sent are still a mystery. We don't know what most of them do,' Gershon continues, 'but some of it is very, very good and very unexpected.'
So now, after 20 years of suffering and bazillions of $ spent I think to myself "just get the [email protected] cut". Does anyone know why this isn't being looked into?

Cheers, Pete

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi pete. While this seems better, I think it would be very dangerous if we weren't getting those "messages". If we didn't, we would probably just dig ourselves in a deeper hole without knowing. But better than suicide.. yep, agreed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.