Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a couple of questions hoping someone has answers:1.) in the last few days I've gotten most of my symptoms under control, but I still have nausea. Primarily in the mornings but also after I eat. I've been told that's classic of IBS because the colon is more active in the morning, but what I don't understand is how something going on with my colon creates nausea in my stomach? Does anyone know the mechanism at work here? Is it actually the IBS or just the gastritis still healing?2.) it's been suggested (by friends, not drs) that I see an immunologist to check on any food allergies/sensitivities. I'm leaning towards it, because in the last several years I live practically the whole year with slight sinus/nasal issues. Is that something that is typically covered by insurance? What's the best way to find one that understands IBS?3.) my other thought is to work with a dietitian to work through an elimination diet. I have always eaten a broad diet with lost of variety so I'm not sure where to even begin and I would worry about nutrition levels if I tried to do it on my own. I'm guessing that won't be covered by insurance, but what's the best way to find a reputable dietitian that understands IBS? I'm a doctor's kid, so although I'm open to some alternative methods I need a dietitian that doesn't write off the whole medical community and would be comfortable working with my drs, not tell me to throw out all my meds for his/her latest concoction. I'm sure most dietitian are like this but so far the only ones I've ever met are on the 'kooky' end of the spectrum. 4.) has anyone had issues with soy milk? I had been drinking an increased amount before all this started for the protein, but now I'm scared that it might be a culprit, but I'm cutting out dairy for fear that it's a trigger, too. What kind of dairy products don't contain lactose? I think yogurt doesn't but what about cottage cheese?I'm sure I have other questions, but that's all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
1. Yes the colon is more active in the morning. That much is true & classic in IBS. I don't know who told you nausea is a classic morning IBS symptom.. but it isn't to my knowledge. I don't know if it is the Gastritis healing.. ask your Dr.BTW ..Try Ginger Tablets for the nausea.2.Again ask your Dr about seeing an immunologist if you think you have allergy problems. (Friends mean well, I know.. but asking an expert about these type of things is sometimes the way to go.) To find one knowledgeable in IBS?? Ask when you call the immunologist's office. OR...Your Dr may know of one that is, so that is another reason to speak to your Dr about it. As far as insurance.. YOU have to look at your own policy.. no way for us to tell you that. Each policy is so different today. So look yours up.. find the "Provider Directory" and look for immunologist's that participate in your insurance co. plan.3. I wouldn't go to a dietician til after you see an immunologist if I were you. Could save you loads of time if the immuno. finds things you are sensitive too or allergic too. No sense in trying to eliminate stuff you know your body doesn't particularly like. Plus I am sure any dietician would be appreciative of a list of foods that you may have problems with before they start to help you. :(As far as insurance goes....Again ..You must look up your "Provider Directory" and see if they have nay dietician's in their plan. Once you find that out.. YOU must ask if they are knowledgeable about IBS if you want to know that.4.Soy milk is made from >>Soybeans. And Soybeans.... are..beans... & can still be tougher to digest for some people casuing excess gas etc.. Plenty of other sources of lean protein besides soy milk. Reading lables at the food store will help you find what you need and what you don't want.This site talks about Lactose intolerance. (Just FYI... it has LOADS of pop ups.. sorry about that..but decent info) http://www.healthcastle.com/herb_lact.shtmlLook for other sites yourself that may have a listing of foods and their lactose content.All the best

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks-Where would one find ginger tablets? grocery, pharmacy or would I need to go to a specialty shop (in US).I'm begining to think that my main issue now is still the gastritis but that the meds he gave me for that kicked up an IBS-C attack. The Miralax has really knocked out all of the IBS symptoms, just leaving me with the morning nausea. I had just never had the C side of things before, always had D as my usual problem.I still think I'm going to check out the allergist/immunologist. I'd been wanting to go to check on what I think is a grass allergy and now that all this mess has forced me to meet my deductible for the year- any further test are basically free for me as long as they are covered and in-network. I found a few allergists/immunologists on my health plan. One of them even has the same last name as my GI, so I'm thinking they are probably related.
I don't currently have a follow up scheduled with the GI, but will probably be calling before heading back to work and I'm going to ask him about that.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Ginger tabs?? Found them in my grocery store and also saw them in Wallyworld (aka Walmart)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not sure how the colon would make you nauseated, but sometimes that can happen in IBS that the times the IBS would be bad the nausea would be too.Usually for dairy you want hard aged cheeses rather than cottage cheese. Yogurt still has some lactose, but not as much as the milk it came from.You might try rice milk as a lot of people tolerate that better than either animal milk or soy.I don't have any food allergies, but if you are allergic to some indoor allergens like dust mites that can make you have nose/sinus issues year round. Or if you have enough different pollen you are allergic to, like me, you may not get much of a break. There is usually at least one something I'm allergic to attempting to procreate pretty close to year round in these parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,I had just logged in and searched the word "nausea" as my daughter is home right now trying to get out the door for school but has an upset stomach. She cannot take any of the over the counter medicines as she was recently diagnosed with several allergies (which has lead me to reply to this thread).She has been suffering from IBS for about two and a half years. She tried elimination diets on her own and cut out gluten, lactose, then all dairy, then all soy and lots of trigger foods (artificial sweeteners, dehydrated anything, etc.)On the suggestion of friends we saw a local chiropractor who does a lot with nutrition and hormone therapy.He tested my daughter for delayed onset allergic reactions using the ALCAT test (very expensive but hopefully worth it.) She is allergic to things that we would have never imagined - like white rice and sugar. Like most IBS sufferers, she had been instructed to eat BRAT diet foods when having a flare up (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast). Well, three of the four items in the BRAT are things she is allergic to and have been making her more sick.I highly recommend allergy testing but caution that not all allergist are the same. I am not an IBS sufferer but have had allergies my entire life. I have lots of indoor and outdoor allergies and one life-threatening allergy to sulfites so I've seen lots of doctors and had lots of skin prick tests. Nobody ever tested me for delayed onset reactions nor was my test ever done by simply drawing blood. The skin prick tests are very painful and may not always be accurate so proceed with caution.Also, soy milk was worse for her than cow's milk. She also uses rice milk (made from brown rice not white) or sometimes hemp milk. Best of luck to you and your recovery.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
So sorry your daughter is feeling sick. If she isn't allergic to Ginger... I would give those tabs a try to help her nausea.All the best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts