Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pains started in 2002; I had been taking medication for 7 years (bromocriptine and then cabergoline for a pituitary microadenoma), and it was after 1 year of cabergoline that the pains first started; mid to lower left abdomen, very deep inside, cramping, and I would be unable to walk. At that time, the episodes would be once in 3 weeks or so. I just put it down to genetic stomach problems and started taking pain medications and digestion enzymes without consulting any doctor. Gradually, over a period of 2 years the pains started coming more frequently, always lower to mid left abdomen, sometimes in the centre. I started taking stronger medications which would always work. However, 5 months after we had our baby, I was struck by a severe cramping pain that left me doubled up, gasping and screaming. The episode lasted 5 minutes and then disappeared. A telephone consultation ensued with my GP who advised me to take cyclopam for 1 week. However, after a dinner party one night, the next morning I had a repeat attack of the same kind of pain- it lasted longer but becoz of my complete inability to stand, sit or lie down during the attack, I was rushed to the ER. By the time we reached, the pain had disappeared. The doctor did a full abdomen ultrasound scan -showed nothing; an X ray of the abdomen which showed gas and impacted stool. He advised me to take more fibre - and a fibre drink to take at night and pain medication. But, the pains started coming everyday - same area, sometimes intense, sometimes dull, but at times I would be unable to lie down or walk or stand. Finally, we met a gastro who did a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and told us I had motility disorder - the colon was going into spasms (possibly a side effect of the medications taken for the tumour). I have been on constant daily medication for the past 2 years. A diagnostic laparascopy done in JUly last year and a CT scan only confirmed the diagnosis. The pains have increased over the last couple of months despite being on medication, restricted diet, avoiding eating out and having more fibre. I even re-started my morning walks which had been discontinued after the baby ; meditation also....nothing seems to be working. More than the pain, it is the fear and insecurity - what if the pain strikes when I am out somewhere? It has seriously eroded my self confidence. I generally take my SOS medication wherever I go (called spasmoproxyvon), which for the last 1 month I have had to use almost daily. It makes me very drowsy and numb, but no help for it. Can anyone suggest anything more I can do? I am desperate for some relief from these pains. My GP recommended I log on to this site as I am beginning to get really depressed about this. Does tramadol help or a muscle relaxant?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The best thing to do is trawl through this website and see what helped others. Normal painkillers are often of not much use and can be addictive. I note that this is can be a problem with taking Spasmo-Proxyvon. Low dose Tri-cyclic anti-depressants are often effective, especially if pain is the main symptom. They can have less side effects and the side effects can be managed by taking the drug before bedtime so that you don't suffer from drowsiness during the day. Some people find that anti-spasmodics are helpful but I didn't and they made me feel drowsy as well.Diet is a real minefield but generally you should eat what stimulates your gut the least. Therefore, fibre can be good for some people but bad for others. Lots of people follow a high soluble fibre, low fat diet whilst others find a low starch or low carbohydrate diet works better. In either case, watch out for insoluble fibre as that can be really irritating on it's own. A low flatus diet will also stimulate the gut less - no beans, cabbage etc. Experiment with probiotics as well. It's hard to meditate when your mind keeps wandering back to the pain that you're feeling. The Hypno 100 programme is like a guided meditation specifically for IBS. Really great for reducing anxiety.I know what you mean about eroding your self confidence. You have to win some back by pushing yourself to do things. I made myself go windsurfing and found that it was beneficial as the activity tended to switch my gut nerves off. I was worried about having a spasm whilst I was out on the water and discovered that it was unlikely to happen. You need to have a plan if it goes wrong, however. I asked the windsurf instructor to keep an eye on me and come and pick me up if necessary but I was fine and I've been out about 100 times since then with no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thereThanks for the advice. I am trying to push myself to go out and keeping SOS medication with me as a backup plan. I have also started keeping a journal of what I eat and when the pain gets triggered off. its just very frustrating that nothing seems to be helping me right now. Hypnosis seems to be a suggestion by most people on this site. Has anyone tried it and does it really work?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I kept a journal for about 3 months but couldn't find anything that was definitely a trigger. I did improve on a low starch, low grain diet (I eat the odd piece of cake or whatever) so have maintained that. I had a vegetarian lasagne a while back when we were travelling and it set me off big time but I think that it would have to be the combo of stuff as there wasn't anything especially different in it. I have eaten wheat or grain products before and since then with no particular problem but I don't eat them in quantity or often. From what I experienced, there might be something in Sherry Brascia's technique of food combining but I don't have her book.I am doing the hypnosis and can highly recommend it. I'm nearing the end of the programme and my symptoms have been gradually reducing as I go. Last week was the best week I've had for 6 months (since I got IBS). But, of course, I have been trying other remedies so who knows. Many people maintain that it did the trick for them. It takes 100 days to complete the programme and some people do it a few times so it's no quick fix. It's enjoyable, very relaxing and good for your self-esteem. I downloaded it directly onto my computer.Has your Doctor not suggested low dose anti-depressants? I resisted taking them for 3 months as I had taken them before and hated the side effects. However, when I did try them I found them very effective in reducing pain and, at the dose I'm taking, the side effects are minimal. I'm taking 20mg now. I went up to 30mg but found the morning fuzziness too much at that level. I still get some pain but also long periods without any which is such a relief when I used to have it all the time.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hello and welcome Archana_V - Many people have had success with the IBS Audio Program 100 - it is not a cure and doesnt work for everyone - but it has helped the majority of folks who have tried it - been discussed on this BB since 1998, so you know if it was really bad or didnt work, you would know about it and people would be warned not to try it, etc. But we have pages of mostly positive feedback from users. Everyone has to find their own way to feel better from this awful IBS - I did a lot of trial and error - mostly error - over the years.You can find out more info in the links below and also here: http://www.ibscds.com - and feel free to ask any questions you may have. The one nice thing is that there is free support with the program if you need it - so you are never alone. The program works best when you do not constantly read or write about IBS - so coming to the BB while doing the program may slow down your progress - depends on the person of course!Hope this helps -- there is hope!
and again, Welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there, thanks for the advice. Yes, initially for 2 months my doc pout me on a mild antidepressant, but then took me off it. Most of what I have been reading seems to suggest that a mild dose of an antidepressant would work. I will run that thru my doc the next tkeen on taking anti depressants becoz they make me drowsy and I have a 2 year old daughter, but if it helps with the pain, I can try it. Also, you are another person who has suggested hypnosis. How do I go about doing that?Are there any online links I can use?Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.