Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past month, I've experienced severe cramps twice. And I mean so bad, I was about to call 911. Soon after, though, the major urge for #2 comes and the pain subsides after I go. However, both times, I felt constipated at first, straining to go, but once the first few hard stools came out, it was pretty much all diahrea. Is this normal? Why am I experiencing such a severe cramp?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like IBS acting up... You can get cramps for so many reasons... Irritability, somethings physically wrong, etc... Its hard to say what a direct cause of the cramp would be without actually knowing whats inside of you
It might be IBS, some people get horrible cramping. Myself I usually get mild cramping (IBS or IBD unknown for sure with me yet) on the left side of my belly button and on the right side of the belly button, just below it. :

G

·
wpr - plenty of people on this site get cramps of varying degrees of horribleness - I'm one of those people. Some days, particularly just before and just after a BM its horrible, like a low but persistent period pain (apologies not sure if you are male or female - if the former - won't have a clue what I'm rabbiting on about) - I think, with me, its usually the morning after I've eaten red meat - which I try not to do more than about 3 times a week (but with a hungry, largish family = not easy). Yet other days I'm absolutely fine - I just put it down to a grumpy colon. I've lived with it for over 10 years, so don't know - enjoy the times you feel "spiffing" thats what I say.Welcome to the board anyway.Sue, Manchester

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi wpr7573: Yes, I used to have severe cramping just like you described. The first time it happened, I did want to call 911, but couldn't even get off the floor. It was so bad, I couldn't breath or move, just be in agony. Then, I passed out fromt the pain. Once I came to, the cramps were gone, and I immediately went #2. I am IBS-C so anytime I go #2 is a welcome.Those cramps came on about once every 6 months for a couple of years, then more often until they came every few weeks. I never called 911 as I figured out that after a couple of hours, I'd be fine, but the fact we even have to go through that is awful.I finally got help from a doctor (after many sluffed me off). He gave me an anti spasm medicine. I haven't had severe cramping for about 8 years now (after 25 years of cramping).

·
Registered
332 Posts
heyaooh yes i know all bout cramping! at times i am rolling round the floor screaming and greeting cus i'm in so much pain. At one point i was getting it several times a week. Wish mine was relieved by a bm though! used to be
actually thinking about it, recently its been more the whole grating thing
which saps you totally so you can't really manage to stand up, like all the life's being drawn out of you from your tummy!! lol not sure which one i prefer!just a question for you: is it possibly that you have c so bad that this results in overflow d? pleasant i know!!! but yes i have had similar to this occasionally before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get it where I have agonising cramps where I can't move or even speak (down the left hand side) and can't poo either
When I do eventually 'go' it is constipation followed by masses of 'D' whereby the pain then goes
I believe the hard C 'poo' is acting as a cork to the D. The cramps cause the 'D' but the hard poo holds it in and the pain cannot be relieved until the 'D' has passed
The only solice I find from this is that I know I have the iminent 'bum wees' coming when I have belly cramps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.