Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gluten intolerant, have IBS, and am definitely not lactose intolerant. About a year ago, I had an incident of severe upper stomach pain after eating a container of yogurt. Happened 2 times in a row, so I stopped eating it all together. Tried it again this past weekend, and 5 hours later, had the same severe upper stomach pains. They were piercing, and came and went for about 20 minutes before I finally took Mylanta/anti-gas. A while later, a few real good burps, and I was fine. What is in the yogurt that I could be reacting to? The cultures? I though those were good for your system. Here I was, all happy that I was trying something good for me again... wrong!
Thanks in advance!Beth

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
What kind of yogurt are we talking about.Plain without a lot of added fruit and sugars or the kind that has fruit and sugar in it.Could be the sugars and the fruit rather than the yogurt.You may want to try and see if plain yogurt works for you (that eliminates some of the variables) If that does, then you may want to buy plain and add your own things to it that you know you can eat safely.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
What kind of yogurt are we talking about.Plain without a lot of added fruit and sugars or the kind that has fruit and sugar in it.Could be the sugars and the fruit rather than the yogurt.You may want to try and see if plain yogurt works for you (that eliminates some of the variables) If that does, then you may want to buy plain and add your own things to it that you know you can eat safely.K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks K.... it is the kind with added fruit and sugar - Dannon. But - all of the ingredients are ones that I have in other places in my diet. I eat sugar a lot with no problems, and this particular flavor was whole cherry - which I can usualy digest fine. Hmmm... the mystery goes on!Thanks for replying though!Beth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks K.... it is the kind with added fruit and sugar - Dannon. But - all of the ingredients are ones that I have in other places in my diet. I eat sugar a lot with no problems, and this particular flavor was whole cherry - which I can usualy digest fine. Hmmm... the mystery goes on!Thanks for replying though!Beth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jen - I can eat ice cream, milk on cereal, cheese, etc. with no problems. Yogurt is the only thing to do it to me.
Beth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jen - I can eat ice cream, milk on cereal, cheese, etc. with no problems. Yogurt is the only thing to do it to me.
Beth

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Cheese has no lactose, yogurt less lactose than milk or Ice cream. Whats weird is being able to eat ice cream or drink milk but not able to eat yogurt. the weird thing is whats the problem? its not lactose related or casein related, the most common milk related problems. If you can rule out the flavors in the yogurt then I can only draw a conclusion its the bacteria. test this by tring Probiotic supplements, different types. see how they make you feel. Like I said before I can only eat Yoplait , and I really should get around to testing if there is any live cultures by tring to use it as a starter to make homemade yogurt.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Cheese has no lactose, yogurt less lactose than milk or Ice cream. Whats weird is being able to eat ice cream or drink milk but not able to eat yogurt. the weird thing is whats the problem? its not lactose related or casein related, the most common milk related problems. If you can rule out the flavors in the yogurt then I can only draw a conclusion its the bacteria. test this by tring Probiotic supplements, different types. see how they make you feel. Like I said before I can only eat Yoplait , and I really should get around to testing if there is any live cultures by tring to use it as a starter to make homemade yogurt.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm pretty sure that cheese does have lactose. Some kinds have very little, others have enough to cause problems...some time ago I think someone posted a link to a site with lots of info on this? Wish I had that now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm pretty sure that cheese does have lactose. Some kinds have very little, others have enough to cause problems...some time ago I think someone posted a link to a site with lots of info on this? Wish I had that now.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The only thing it could be if it has to do with the cultures (and that is assuming that the yogurt has ones that are surviving to the colon and reproducing) is that it could be upsetting the bacteria you have. In some cases in some animals you can dramatically alter the colonic flora, but it seems odd that it would happen after eating a carton of yogurt. When you do this the gas production increases until a new steady state is achieved. A few people do seem to have big reactions to probiotics.Read the label and see if there are any colorings or food additives. That may be a clue. Some of these can be things that react. (a friend of mine only had bad symptoms when he ate yellow food coloring)K.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.