Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there suffering from both hearburn and ibs? I have been dealing with this for over 10 years and am losing all hope of ever feeling well again.I am currently using aciphex 20mg 3 times a day and serzone for the possible "mind-gut"connection.I have constant bloating every hour of every day and see a gastrologist regularly.Nothing seems to help.Any suggestions?------------------Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Bill-I suffer from IBS and heartburn. I thought the heartburn was caused from stress, but I seem to have it all the time. I also have terrible gas and bloating all the time. I've tried Prevacid for heartburn but it didn't do much. I wish I had some answers for you, but I hope it helps to know that you are not alone.Take Care,Jayme

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Poston,I have IBS and GERD and basically it sux nails! I was on prilosec for 4 years and it worked great for heartburn, but then it stopped. I just switched to ranitidine(zantac)300mg 2xday. It seems to be giving me some relief. My doc. said that sometimes in severe cases, you need to switch meds. every few months. I guess we'll see if that helps. I know how awful it is though and truly if I have to choose between D and heartburn, I'll take the D- and I have it bad. I wish you luck and hope you feel better.Love and Peace,Karly

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Bill, sorry you're suffering with these things, and for so long too. I have just recently started having bad heartburn after a gap of none for a few years. I just take gaviscon which helps but not for long. I was wondering if you tried a strongly brewed cup cammomile tea yet? It works well with the bloating and a little for the heartburn too. I find the Celestial Seasoning's SleepyTime tea is very good, it has cammomile plus a load of other herbs which seem to work a lot better than just cammomile on its own. Don't worry, it is does have a nice relaxing effect, but it won't send you to sleep!! LOL. You need to brew it strong and I think it might help with the bloating at least, if not some of the heartburn too. Take care of yourself, Susan

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Bill, sorry you're suffering with these things, and for so long too. I have just recently started having bad heartburn after a gap of none for a few years. I just take gaviscon which helps but not for long. I was wondering if you tried a strongly brewed cup cammomile tea yet? It works well with the bloating and a little for the heartburn too. I find the Celestial Seasoning's SleepyTime tea is very good, it has cammomile plus a load of other herbs which seem to work a lot better than just cammomile on its own. Don't worry, it is does have a nice relaxing effect, but it won't send you to sleep!! LOL. You need to brew it strong and I think it might help with the bloating at least, if not some of the heartburn too. Take care of yourself, Susanp.s what kind of drug is aciphex? is it a reflux suppressant? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aciphex is a proton pump inhibitor that is supposed to help with acid reflux{GERD}.But so far it has not helped me even with multiple prescibed doses.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi, I suffer with IBS & GERD too. I take pantoloc 40 mg.once/day. I was on prilosec 20 mg. & it did help the heartburn but not the burning stomach. I find pantoloc works better. It is a proton pump inhibitor too so you might want to try a different one, sometimes what works for one doesnt for the other. Try a month at a time, you should be able to tell by then. Also try not to eat for about 5 hours before you go to bed, it does help too. I think our stomachs work too hard sometimes, small meals are also better, but I suppose you allready know all that. Good luck & if you figure out a way of getting rid of heartburn, PLEASE let me know
I cant seem to be able to get off the medication either, even with altering my diet I still get heartburn. Arent we lucky to have to deal with IBS & GERD?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had IBS for 10 years now. I was living with it until, severe heartburn started about 3 years ago. Both together are not fun. The D was not bad or often. The heartburn also was not bad unless I ate a big meal late at night. Nothing helped the heartburn. About 3 years ago my IBS flared up and never went away. I finally decided to go to the GI. I had all the tests and they found nothing except in my blood work they saw some gall bladder problems. The doctor asked if I had what felt like heartburn alot. I said yes, but that's not why I came to you, I wanted the D taken care of. The ultrasound showed gall stones. I had the operation 2 years ago, and I rarely have heartburn any more, but the IBS is worse. Nobody warned me of this. Now I feel the IBS was GB related, and maybe the GB was bad all this time. Instead of fixing the GB, I don't have one anymore and my system is Sh*t out of luck. (pardon the pun). This is my first entry on the BB, but have been reading it for months. Calcium pills helped for a while, but not always, and it seems they don't do anything anymore. I am writing this, because your problem sounded like mine. Your heartburn might be an inflamed gall bladder. I am still searching for what helps me.Good luckEric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eric:Thanks for the info_Our situations sound a little familar,but out of order.I also had my gallbladder removed and my ibs got worse.Only just in the past 2 years has my heartburn become so unbearable and untreatable.So much for the gallbladder theory relating to heartburn and me.Glad your heartburn is better.------------------Bill

·
Registered
721 Posts
Bill, Have you considered fundoplication surgery to stop the heartburn. The operation does help approx 80% of people. Unfortenatley I was one of the unsuccessful 20%. The only encouraging thing i can say is that the operation was a piece of cake. I was back to work in 4 days. I have spoken to many who have been cured of heartburn with this. There are also to noninvasive procedures for GERD that are brand new. As far as your doc goes, it sounds like you have a good one. He does have you on a good treatment plan. Visit my website at www.acidreflux.org Hopefully you will find some helpful suggestions. 3 Aciphex a day is a big dose. Maybe the burn is being caused by bile getting into the esophagus instead of acid. Have you tried propulsid or reglan?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Bill,I forgot to mention that I have tried many antidepressents. The only ones that I have found to help the bloat are the SSRIS. I do believe that zelmac will really help when it becomes available

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pete:I just wanted to let you know I checked out you web site.Excellent and very informative.Thanks.------------------Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.