Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have raised this issue before but I'm wondering again if those of you with severe IBS-d use a lot of salt. It is well known that there is a salt/water balance in the body-might there be a link here to IBS. I do like a lot of salt and ClaireUK has mentioned she also has a high intake. It would be interesting to check on what others consume. The connection seems to have some kinda logic and I was wondering if we could explore this a bit more.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i've done alot of research on this type of thing...........i'm one of those people who crave salt & salty foods........all my life........it took me a very long time to find out that craving sodium is the adrenals way of trying to get what it needs to make many of the adrenal hormones.........without it, the adrenals suffer.......adrenal hormones also have alot to do with intestinal integrity.........excess sodium can cause the walls of the intestines to b non-porous........this causes the liquid from the chime that is made from the foods u eat, to b too thin..........it also causes the nutrients in that chime to go right thru..........potassium has to b in balance with sodium, for each person, according to their needs........if someone is eating low sodium & foods high in potassium, this can cause D.........but if there isn't enough potassium in ones body, then the intestinal walls r not porous enough..........causing the chime to pass thru too fast & very little in the way of nutrients & water getting into the body, thru those walls..........some potassium for those who do eat salty stuff, would help to balance the sodium & enable the intestinal walls to b more porous, letting alot of the liquid thur, into the system..........potassium has a lot to do with muscle contraction........if the intestines r to spastic, causing D, then potassium will slow & relax those intestines, which r nothing but muscles..........the thing is, to find out just how much potassium u need.........if u r consuming high potassium, then some sodium, in the way of sea salt, would help then, because too much of it can really cause D in a big way.........sodium gets a bad rap.........it's all about the balance..........

·
Registered
14,427 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Petra,I answered your questions on Ibslifesucks.I have a theory that it could be a lot of the flavourings that are put in meals as some are very salty.I do not crave salt, but if your out and someone puts salted nuts or chips in front of me, I now know leave the nuts alone just have a few chips.I also use the healthy salt at home.I crave sweet things and that is hard to control some days.So it all a question mark, but I had a test done years ago and I am alergic to MSG, and lots of Chinese restuarants use it in all their cooking, so I have to be very careful if I go to the Chinese Restuarants as bam I will get the dreaded D.So everything we put in our mouths has to be noted, I know it is no fun having to live with this terible thing we all have on here.Sometimes a Dr will put you on Anti Depressants that have a side effect of constipation, so don't always think that they are so bad, just a thought for you.All the best.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all for your replies. Maybe I'll try a salt substitute and see if it makes any difference to me. Nuts always give my wind and pain-not much else bothers me in this way-I don't think that this is salt related in my case. Just wondered if those of us with severe IBS-d had a specifically high intake of salt but it seems not. Ausieone-I do take seroxat but I think it is causing my skin to itch so maybe I'll have to stop it. MSG doesn't seem to bother me much as in chinese food so I don't think that is a particular problem for me but may well be for others. Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the BRAT diet, a diet for people wh have just had d and sickness- recommends bananas because of their potasium.so i thoguht it was interesting what you saidi going out to get some , my son has had a bad night im thinking about blitsing the bananas with some soya or rice milk and ave the n a milk shake for breakfast

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.