Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had the first attack before christmas and spent a day in the er. ct scan showed "diffuse colon swelling", given antibiotics and told diverticulitis, liquid diet. went to gastro and he said same thing, that i had diverticulosis in 1997 so he's not surprised. scheduled colonscopy for february 5, tomorrow.i've had two bad spells and no the last couple of days i have had extreme mind numbing pain under my left rib and down to my hip. i have loose stools and a lot of nausea, no fever, no vomiting. just intense pain. they gave me tramadol which isn't worth a ####. i asked for elavil but he wouldn't give it to me, didn't say why, gave me ambien, which does not work.the pain is the kind of curl in a ball screaming adn crying, down on the floor type. i can't take a breathe because of it. i ordered the book "great taste, no pain" and plan on starting that diet when the tests are over.i am so scared. since i'm in such severe debilitating pain, is this colonscopy a good idea? the gastro knows best i guess, but i don't understand why i can't have elavil. it seems to work and i stayed on it for a couple of years. after all, it's low dose and doesn't hurt. he did give me reglan which didn't work and something else, which also didn't work.i'm really at a low point, can't eat, can't sleep, affecting marriage. i hate this.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
He may want to see what is going on before trying a drug that may take 3-4 weeks to help and really is only for functional pain. Once you have the colonoscopy and they know what is going on you probably should bring it up again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yup had all that....ended up operation ..bag... then they done a reversal...waited a yr....apart from the pain..i found the depression really bad....only time i felt in my life.. fook it just let me die ..had enough...ibs came back...now i watch what i eat...dont eat big meals...i can feel when av ate to much...then i just dont eat...aloea vera juice...green tea without milk sugar...actimel every day....i put it down to like a well oiled engine....no oil the engine wont work..in my case i left it to long and needed an whole new engine...took a bit of my diseased bowel out and joined it up....my feeling is dont binge eat..and keep it lubricated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello to all. I have pain only on my left side and it is called splenic flexure syndrome which is very common with IBS. If you look it up you will see that the colon is vertical and then takes a bend to the right. I know exactly when I will go to the bathroom when the pain starts there. I have used manual pressure, circular massage on that area and it helps. Contrary to some posts, I use a pain medication, either OTC or Rx to relieve the pain. Pain is pain, no matter where it is. When I had a partial hysterctomy in 1985 it took longer than expected and the doctor came out to tell my husband my bowell was wrapped around the ovary on the left side. I had been diagnosed with colitis, diverticulitis, etc., etc. but finally the correct one was IBS or as my old-time doc said, spastic colon. I use a muscle relaxer called Soma to stop the spasms. I also use EqualActin for combination D and C conditions. Good luck to us all.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yea the left side can be a real pain(Pun intended) I started with just left side pain, then oddly enough starting getting right side pain exactly in the same location of the left. And the EXACT same type of pain. Well, its been at least a week, maybe even two since I have had the right side pain. The left side pain subsided for almost 4 days and then last night it started up again for a few hours. Probably the worse episode Ive had which was odd considering I had went almost 4 days without symptoms. Then slept great and have been 100% today.The issue can be frustrating. It seems to have its own mind and will do what it wants!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.