Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from severe nausea that i cannot,no matter how hard i try to ease,its awful,feel sick all the time!I have been given anti-nausea tablets prescribed by my Doctor and also at the Hospital,they only made me feel worse!It is nothing i have ate as i am very careful with my diet,its very bland and plain.I am a great believer in Holisitic/Alternative medicines as they do not cause severe side-effects.But at the moment i can find nothing to ease this feeling.Has anyone found/tried anything that has helped them.I live in the UK(Scotland).

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
hi diana so sorry you're feeling so horrible. i get bad nausea too periodically--thank goodnesss it isn't constant---and yes it is debilitating. i was diagnosed last summer with gerd and now i realize that is a big cause of my nausea--however my ibs-c and bloating plays a big part in it too.do you have reflux/gerd? is that possibly a factor? i try to control mine with a very bland diet but sometimes that alone isn't enough and i have to take prilosec and that tamps it down for a while and relieves the nausea.i suppose you've tried ginger capsules or ginger tea...maybe peppermint tea..sipping coke or ginger ale..none of these helped me but i've seen them recommended here by others.or tried wearing those sea bands--anti nausea bands? i've been meaning to try those.and i know from experience drinking water and making sure you stay hydrated really helps....at least it keeps the nausea from getting worse. also eating small meals throughout the day--no large meals. i've also found that sometimes eating something starchy like saltines, bread or a potato or just half a potato helps.anxiety can make nausea worse. i've found that focusing my concentration on something else---reading, a hobby, housework whatever---can help take my mind off the nausea. also relaxing and deep abdominal breathing helps.good luck...hope you can find some relief.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello annie7I suffer with severe indigestion,but the medicines do not help that my Doctor has prescribed,its so uncomfortable!I am actually having a peppermint tea at the moment,it does not ease the nausea,i just enjoy it as a change from ordinary tea.I drink lots of water on a daily basis,so i'm not dehydrated thats for sure!I actually have never tried the anti-sickness bands,worth a go i think.I found the Ginger Capsules came back on me when i tried them and the Ginger Tea was a bit strong for me but i might have a cup again to see if it helps.Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
You can try different Ginger tabs or capsules... It might depend on the brand.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Diana - have you tried all of the following:- prochlorperazine, metoclopramide, domperidone, cyclizine, promethazine, ondansetron or any anti-histamine can really help? You can also take some of these together but you will need to check with the pharmacist. Some of these you don't need a prescription for so ask the pharmacist.If you have reflux have you tried either omeprazole or lansoprazole as these can be very effective for nausea. In fact they can be very effective for the right person if they don't have any reflux.In addition, are you on any antidepressants at the moment as these can also be very effective for nausea.The main thing of course is to find what is causing your nausea which is often very tricky. I assume you have had all the normal tests done?I hope you find a solution. If you do please let me know what worked.Good luck.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the advice idkwia,everything you have mentioned i have tried,to no avail.I am not on an anti-depressant either,and have had all the necessary tests done/taken.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
HI Diana i really feel for you--you've been going through so much and tried so many things all to no avail.maybe making the crystallized ginger will help? sure do hope so. in any case, i bet it would smell good, baking in the oven like that.feel free to pm me if you ever feel like talking..take care--hope you have a better day today.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm the same Diana and the one thing I have found that helped me is a mixture of going dairy free (I drink goats milk as that is easily digested) and also taking Metoclopramide prescribed by my Dr. The first and only anti nausea tablet that has worked and I've tried many.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CatUKI have tried a Dairy free diet,it did not help me at all,but i am glad you have found it helps a bit.

·
470 Posts
Thank you for the advice idkwia,everything you have mentioned i have tried,to no avail.I am not on an anti-depressant either,and have had all the necessary tests done/taken.
Then maybe you could see your doctor about anti-depressants as they can often be very effective for nausea and IBS. In fact one of the top doctors in the UK who is a world authority on IBS says that if he could only use one treatment for IBS it would be anti-depressants. For diarrhea you need a tricyclic like amitryptiline and for consitpation you need an SSRI type.In addition have you been on a food elimination diet to find if you have any food intolerances as again if you are it could cure you of everything potentially.Have you been tested for SIBO?Also a good probiotic could have many good effects.Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Diana, have you tried ginger snaps? I find the cookies are usually more effective in treating my nausea than the capsules or tea. Good luck.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tryed anti-depressants last year,never again,i was in an awful state!did not help me in anyway.I went through elimination diet last year,nothing showed up in that and probiotics caused my indigestion to be worse.Think i will just give up!Thanks again for advice.mztummy,Havent tried ginger snaps in a while,must buy a packet.Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try Dramamine or oral Cannabis. I also have nausea very badly, almost every night. Dramamine helps believe it or not. I've heard that Cannabis helps some, haven't tried it yet. Good Luck.Don't give up

·
470 Posts
Try Dramamine or oral Cannabis. I also have nausea very badly, almost every night. Dramamine helps believe it or not. I've heard that Cannabis helps some, haven't tried it yet. Good Luck.Don't give up
Yes, this is interesting and I have heard the same. Have never taken cannabis personally so when you say "oral Cannabis" are you talking about a synthetic tpye of cannabis that has been developed as medication, in other words is it a tablet?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh! i dont know about trying cannabis,think thats illegal drug here!I have not heard of Dramamine,what is it?I have to be very careful when taking drugs/medicines as most have given me horrendous side effects,so i really do not want to feel any more ill than i already do.I do try not to give up and keep going,but have suffered for so very many years,its just one living nightmare,but somehow i keep on going.Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, this is interesting and I have heard the same. Have never taken cannabis personally so when you say "oral Cannabis" are you talking about a synthetic tpye of cannabis that has been developed as medication, in other words is it a tablet?
Yes I am referring to the synthetic version that must be prescribed by a Dr., it has been used for awhile for cancer patients for severe nausea. Diana, Dramamine is just an over the counter item for motion sickness, but I find it really helps me in the evenings with nausea. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time
It's tricky because so many people who are in our day to day lives just do not understand....Take Care Girl!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts