Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have had IBS for years off and on..it's the alternating type..mainly C but I do get both types happen. I'm a female, 33, healthy, eat well and work out daily. It seems my IBS flares up mostly with stress. I suffer bad anxiety and it comes and goes, sometimes I'm fine and don't have any symptoms then if something majorly stresses me it flares up. I've had some issues lately, my Grandmother passed away, I'm studying for exams in September etc...so I have stresses. About 4 weeks ago I started to get an upset stomach with burning in just in between my ribs in my stomach, I don't know if it's classed as heartburn as it doesn't come up in my throat like reflux. It doesn't matter what I eat or drink or if I don't eat I've got constant burning. My bowel movements were hard and constipated at first now they are urgent and on the looser side and I get bowel spasms after a BM. My stomach is constantly "gurling" and upset and I feel nauseous but it's this contstant burning in my stomach. I feel like I've got a million butterflies in there as it keeps contracting with tense feelings..hope I"m making myself clear. I get bloating off and on throughout the day it's worse at night but usually ok in the morning when I get up.I also had some breakthrough spotting (not bleeding just discharge) sorry TMI...last month but my periods are regular and I had an internal exam in April and my ovaries felt fine. I just googled heartburn and ovarian cancer comes up..I'm so scared. I can't concentrate on my studying and I can't get in to see my Doctor till the end of the month. I'm also going on vacation with my Husband next week and I want to feel well not sick and burning in the stomach.I can never tell with its "just IBS" or if it is something like ovarian cancer....Please can someone give me some help or reassurance, I don't know what else to do..Thanks

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I would try not to get yourself even more stressed out by worrying about this. You were just given a clean bill of ovarian health in April. I don't see how, if one has heartburn type symptoms that it automatically means ovarian cancer! So I would try to stop that kind of catastrophic thinking as it will only make you feel worse! (You might discuss some treatment for your anxiety with your Dr when you get in there in Sept. Tell him/her about these thoughts you have.)What have you tried to get these symptoms under control in the past 4 weeks? Ginger tablets, tea or ale (stirred to have little or no more bubbles.) can help very well with nausea. Sometimes I find that excessive gurgling my inidicate that I need a probiotic. Align is a good one. All the best and DO try to relax on vacation!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try not to get yourself even more stressed out by worrying about this. You were just given a clean bill of ovarian health in April. I don't see how, if one has heartburn type symptoms that it automatically means ovarian cancer! So I would try to stop that kind of catastrophic thinking as it will only make you feel worse! (You might discuss some treatment for your anxiety with your Dr when you get in there in Sept. Tell him/her about these thoughts you have.)What have you tried to get these symptoms under control in the past 4 weeks? Ginger tablets, tea or ale (stirred to have little or no more bubbles.) can help very well with nausea. Sometimes I find that excessive gurgling my inidicate that I need a probiotic. Align is a good one. All the best and DO try to relax on vacation!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi BQI've tried Prilosec and Ranitidine (over the counter) for the heartburn as well as chewable antacids, they do nothing. I tried a organic "tummy" tea a couple of days ago, it has peppermint, chamomile, ginger and some other stuff in it, it helped a little so I might try that again. I bought some probiotics this morning and I eat tonnes of yogurt.I know in the back of my mind that stress/anxiety is only making this worse, I just find it so hard to control anxiety when it's at it's worst, most times I'm ok and can manage it. Once I get the fear of the big "C" word in my mind it just goes out of control.Maybe the vacation will help and I can relax.Thanks for the reply

1 - 4 of 4 Posts