Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about a year and a half now, I have been having episodes of terrible stomach pain, vomiting and uncontrollable diarrhia. Sometimes they are only a week apart, other times I have gone months without having any problems. After many visits to the emergency room, some tests, and talking to my doctor, he has diagnosed me with IBS. But no where have I found anything about vomiting...Does anyone out there suffer fom this too???? I need help, I just got over being sick since last night. None of the meds have done anything at all. I am desperate.
I can not live like this....please help. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
The vomitting sounds like gall bladder symptoms.What tests have you had done? You said you've been to the ER and seen your doctor. Have you been seen by or referred to a gastroenterologist? And one last question, what medication(s) are you taking?Sorry to hear you've been going through so much for so long. I'm sure other people will come along and give you their thoughts.Edit to add: Where are you having pain? Is it limited to your colon...in your diaphram, right rib or back pain? Is there any connection between high fat meals and onset of symptoms?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The vomitting sounds like gall bladder symptoms.What tests have you had done? You said you've been to the ER and seen your doctor. Have you been seen by or referred to a gastroenterologist? And one last question, what medication(s) are you taking?Sorry to hear you've been going through so much for so long. I'm sure other people will come along and give you their thoughts.Edit to add: Where are you having pain? Is it limited to your colon...in your diaphram, right rib or back pain? Is there any connection between high fat meals and onset of symptoms?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK...let's see...in the ER, they took blood, urine and stool samples. Found nothing, many times over. As far as more other procedures, like colonoscopy- no, not yet. The gastroenterologist said IBS, too, but did no tests, just asked questions. Said it was stress. I have severe depression and am on Prozac Weekly. Also Depekote to help my mood swings. The gastro doc prescribed me an anti-spasmodic med for my stomach- waste of time there. He also gave me Phenergan for the nausea and vomiting...guess what happens? I throw em up. My reg doc prescribed Phenergan suppositories, 50 mg and 25 mg, along with an anti-diarrhial med so I can keep it in long enough. All this just barely takes the edge off. He says I have GERD, too. So Prevacid was prescribed, but I have been taking Papaya enzymes, which seem to work just as well...Anyway, Hydroxyzine-nothing, and Zyprexa. Mostly now, I am just taking the Prozac because nothing else is doing anything.
please help, thanks, marriah

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...let's see...in the ER, they took blood, urine and stool samples. Found nothing, many times over. As far as more other procedures, like colonoscopy- no, not yet. The gastroenterologist said IBS, too, but did no tests, just asked questions. Said it was stress. I have severe depression and am on Prozac Weekly. Also Depekote to help my mood swings. The gastro doc prescribed me an anti-spasmodic med for my stomach- waste of time there. He also gave me Phenergan for the nausea and vomiting...guess what happens? I throw em up. My reg doc prescribed Phenergan suppositories, 50 mg and 25 mg, along with an anti-diarrhial med so I can keep it in long enough. All this just barely takes the edge off. He says I have GERD, too. So Prevacid was prescribed, but I have been taking Papaya enzymes, which seem to work just as well...Anyway, Hydroxyzine-nothing, and Zyprexa. Mostly now, I am just taking the Prozac because nothing else is doing anything.
please help, thanks, marriah

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, if I were you, I would insist on having a colonoscopy and endoscopy done. I find it hard to believe that a gastroenterologist would not order these diagnostic tests...and just chalk your symptoms up to stress. Even if you have other problems which may lead the doctor to believe it's all stress induced. The tests should be done. You've been suffering too long not to have the tests. I've found that sometimes you just have to INSIST that the tests be done.Might be time to find a different gastro.You didn't mention exactly where you have pain, this could help.And by the way, my primary had me on Prilosec and I was STILL throwing up once a week! (My gallbladder was diseased)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, if I were you, I would insist on having a colonoscopy and endoscopy done. I find it hard to believe that a gastroenterologist would not order these diagnostic tests...and just chalk your symptoms up to stress. Even if you have other problems which may lead the doctor to believe it's all stress induced. The tests should be done. You've been suffering too long not to have the tests. I've found that sometimes you just have to INSIST that the tests be done.Might be time to find a different gastro.You didn't mention exactly where you have pain, this could help.And by the way, my primary had me on Prilosec and I was STILL throwing up once a week! (My gallbladder was diseased)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yikes!! I plan on making an appt. tommorrow a.m. and I am def. going to ask for those tests to be done. Heres a run-down of what I experience in a normal episode: Burping, tastes like vomit
Horrible noises and pain from my bowels Followed by diarrhia Stomach pain starts...very bad Sometimes I throw up right away, at the start, most times I lie in agony until I finally throw up Starts all over againLet me point out that I don't just throw up- I WRETCH. I got sick last month on vacation at my aunt and uncles, and my aunt said it sounded like I was trying to throw up my toenails. I have vomited so bad before that I've broken blood vessels under my eyes.If it were just the diarrhia, I think I could think about living with it...but when I'm sick I can't move, do nothing..and the pain!! OMG, the pain.BTW, I have pain in my bowels and I can tell I am about to have D, and then there's the pain in my stomach, as in where your food lands when you swallow.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yikes!! I plan on making an appt. tommorrow a.m. and I am def. going to ask for those tests to be done. Heres a run-down of what I experience in a normal episode: Burping, tastes like vomit
Horrible noises and pain from my bowels Followed by diarrhia Stomach pain starts...very bad Sometimes I throw up right away, at the start, most times I lie in agony until I finally throw up Starts all over againLet me point out that I don't just throw up- I WRETCH. I got sick last month on vacation at my aunt and uncles, and my aunt said it sounded like I was trying to throw up my toenails. I have vomited so bad before that I've broken blood vessels under my eyes.If it were just the diarrhia, I think I could think about living with it...but when I'm sick I can't move, do nothing..and the pain!! OMG, the pain.BTW, I have pain in my bowels and I can tell I am about to have D, and then there's the pain in my stomach, as in where your food lands when you swallow.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as insurance goes, I have TennCare, but it covers pretty well, I don't think I'll have a prob in that area. Come to think of it, if I do, I'm willing to owe the hospital $$ for the rest of my life if I have to, in order to get something done.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as insurance goes, I have TennCare, but it covers pretty well, I don't think I'll have a prob in that area. Come to think of it, if I do, I'm willing to owe the hospital $$ for the rest of my life if I have to, in order to get something done.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, in doing some internet research a while back, I found a syndrome called Cyclic Vomiting S. My condition sounds much more like it in almost every way. Any one here with CVS?
Can it trigger IBS??? Any help is much appriciated..big hugs, marriah

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, in doing some internet research a while back, I found a syndrome called Cyclic Vomiting S. My condition sounds much more like it in almost every way. Any one here with CVS?
Can it trigger IBS??? Any help is much appriciated..big hugs, marriah

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bobo, i just saw your edit from earlier. To answer your questions...As far as my husband and I can tell, there is no connection to food, much less stress, for that matter. I have no other pain, in back or elsewhere, other than the stomach pain and bowel pain. Nothing to the right or left, just straight down the middle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bobo, i just saw your edit from earlier. To answer your questions...As far as my husband and I can tell, there is no connection to food, much less stress, for that matter. I have no other pain, in back or elsewhere, other than the stomach pain and bowel pain. Nothing to the right or left, just straight down the middle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get a scope. If that turns out NEG. Then ask your doctor a bout CVS. I don't have the condition. I am sorry that you are suffering. Good luck with the Docs, and does the depakote coincide with any of your episodes? Did they or do they monitor your liver while on that because I have heard that they are supposed to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get a scope. If that turns out NEG. Then ask your doctor a bout CVS. I don't have the condition. I am sorry that you are suffering. Good luck with the Docs, and does the depakote coincide with any of your episodes? Did they or do they monitor your liver while on that because I have heard that they are supposed to.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.