Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Since the beginning of my IBS i have lost 20 kilos and am now underweight.

I simply cannot eat because i am severe constipated all the time and because of this i have this nasty nausea.

Can someone please help with how i can gain on weight, preferably in the form of easy liquid calories?

I have tried Nutridrink and Ensure Plus High Protein but this also makes me nauseated and gives me cramps and gas.

I am desperate for some energy intake people!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Raw015 -

Your best bet would be first and foremost taking something every day to help ease your constipation.

I wrote this a while back, I hope it helps (click on below link to read):

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/325690-the-abcs-of-chronic-constipation-aka-ibs-c/

P.S. Good luck and keep us posted!
Hi flossy,

I read your topic a while ago hehe.

I am following some of your advice, i took 30 grams of acacia fiber every day, made my C worse.

I am now taking Now Aloe Vera Gels 4-6 a day on a empty stomach, and Organic India Triphala 4 a day, still no reaction, severe constipated and a lot of gas.

From my doctor i got Movicolon but still kills me inside with gas and rumbles.

Im so desperate.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Yes, more fiber makes me worse too, as I said in that post.

Did you ever try Intestinal Formula # 1?

If I didn't take that I would probably take senna pills and stool softener (aka docusate sodium). Both are inexpensive.

For gas you can take Beano and simethicone pills (aka Equate Gas Relief here in the U.S.).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took 2 nights a Colon Complex with 18 % sennosides and it did empty me out the next day but it also gave me horrible spasms and pain afterwards, also i drank magnesium citrate once only 2 teaspoons with the same results, it does help, but the spasming and cramps are way too painful to do it again unless im complety locked down.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I took 2 nights a Colon Complex with 18 % sennosides and it did empty me out the next day but it also gave me horrible spasms and pain afterwards, also i drank magnesium citrate once only 2 teaspoons with the same results, it does help, but the spasming and cramps are way too painful to do it again unless im complety locked down.
You should take something every day. You know what I recommend. Have you ever had a colonoscopy?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should take something every day. You know what I recommend. Have you ever had a colonoscopy?
I have almost every test out there expect a MRI.

I have had a colonoscopy, a gastroscopy, echo scans, barium swallow, blood tests, fecal matter tests, glucose breath test and everything came out fine except my tummy was a little irritated, till this day it still is and this began all a year ago.

Before this all began i could eat and drink literally everything any time no exceptions , and this exactly what i did, at nights i couldn't sleep i would drive to Burger King, KFC or McDonalds, eat like a triple whopper and a milkshake or something and sleep like a baby and wake up refreshed, boy how did my life change.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi -- I can relate with the weight loss thing going on. I'm down to an unhealthy 104 pounds on my 5'4" frame. I find high protein bars help -- the ones with a lot of calories and then eating very small meals.... like a couple of bites only throughout the day. Less in my stomach equal less intestinal distress but then it again it could turn at anytime -- even on an empty stomach. It sucks. You also mention nausea. You could have the GERD thing going as well. Ask your doctor for some nausea pills. Maybe try some Omeprazole. My gastro said it safe to take daily. Even Zantac in between helps as well. Really awful isn't it?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi- I have had similar issues for years. I tried everything that the dr recommended I.e nexium, omeprazole, pentaprazole, carafate etc.. nothing worked. I got fed up and decided to see a holistic dr. She ordered more labs and recommended that I do a parasite cleanse using Paramax. She also discovered that I had candida overgrowth. She prescribed natural antibiotic, vitamin b12, very strong probiotic ( brand is Dr. Recommended / 90 billion). I used to be bloated all the time, nauseated, and I had this upper stomach pain that felt like I had little needles poking me around. Since I started the treatment 4+ months ago I haven't felt any pain or had any other symptoms. I haven't gone back drinking coffee or wine yet because I am still going thru the treatment.
Go holistic if you can! It saved my life.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi -- I can relate with the weight loss thing going on. I'm down to an unhealthy 104 pounds on my 5'4" frame. I find high protein bars help -- the ones with a lot of calories and then eating very small meals.... like a couple of bites only throughout the day. Less in my stomach equal less intestinal distress but then it again it could turn at anytime -- even on an empty stomach. It sucks. You also mention nausea. You could have the GERD thing going as well. Ask your doctor for some nausea pills. Maybe try some Omeprazole. My gastro said it safe to take daily. Even Zantac in between helps as well. Really awful isn't it?!
it is super debilitating and it has ruined my life.

I am now on Vital ( Drinking food ), it has 300 calories per 200 ML and i am planning to drink 3 a day for the calorie and energy intake.

I also used PPI for over a year still use it in flare ups but i think this had something to do with starting my IBS in the first place.

What nausea pills do you use it and are they save? do they cause drowsiness?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi- I have had similar issues for years. I tried everything that the dr recommended I.e nexium, omeprazole, pentaprazole, carafate etc.. nothing worked. I got fed up and decided to see a holistic dr. She ordered more labs and recommended that I do a parasite cleanse using Paramax. She also discovered that I had candida overgrowth. She prescribed natural antibiotic, vitamin b12, very strong probiotic ( brand is Dr. Recommended / 90 billion). I used to be bloated all the time, nauseated, and I had this upper stomach pain that felt like I had little needles poking me around. Since I started the treatment 4+ months ago I haven't felt any pain or had any other symptoms. I haven't gone back drinking coffee or wine yet because I am still going thru the treatment.
Go holistic if you can! It saved my life.
Hope that helps.
I am planning to go to a alternative doctor if the doctors dont give me a MRI scan and another breath test.

I also can relate to the needles stinging me, it feels like a light burning tingling sensation going on in my stomach after meals, all this symptoms aggravate my anxiety thus making my symptoms even worse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it is super debilitating and it has ruined my life.

I am now on Vital ( Drinking food ), it has 300 calories per 200 ML and i am planning to drink 3 a day for the calorie and energy intake.

I also used PPI for over a year still use it in flare ups but i think this had something to do with starting my IBS in the first place.

What nausea pills do you use it and are they save? do they cause drowsiness?
The nausea pills do not cause me any drowsiness. They are 4mg of Ondansetron HCL to be taken every six hours or as needed.

My life is also near ruined.... Actually, it is ruined. I'm going to a food event this weekend and am dreading it. I usually avoid anything food related. Today, a protein bar, lettuce wrapped 2 piece bacon and 1 egg sandwich, a few bites (Fodmap friendly) -- it's been a bad day, I'm miserable. I might break down and take a Linzess tomorrow morning but that's hit and miss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts