Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone �I am just beginning my third book for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, a collection of personal stories from people who have IBS. This is something that so many people have asked for, and it should be a wonderful resource for everyone who still feels that they are all alone in dealing with IBS. I hope to gather over 100 different stories for the book, which is tentatively titled �IBS Stories from the Heart.� I anticipate a late fall publication date in North America, and the book will be widely available through Barnes and Noble, Borders, and independent bookstores, as well as through the internet. International publication will follow. Please consider sharing your story in the book, as your experiences, struggles, and accomplishments in dealing with IBS are sure to help others following the same path. IBS doesn�t discriminate by gender, age, income, job, where you live, or how you live. It can affect anyone, anywhere. While this is one of the many frustrating aspects of the disorder, it also gives us a wonderful opportunity to bring together diverse stories from people all over the world, who may have nothing in common except for IBS. It should be wonderful to finally have a resource with such a wealth of different IBS stories that every single reader will be able to identify with someone else, whether through common symptoms, histories, or experiences. Sharing a common background can also pave the way to finding common solutions. For all of us (including me), one of the most difficult things about dealing with IBS has been the feeling that we�re still pretty much alone in our struggle with this disorder. Even with the terrific internet support boards, it can still be difficult to believe that there really are lots of other people out there in the real world who have gone through the same experiences with IBS that we have. The embarrassment and isolation that still surround the whole subject of any bowel disorder are partly to blame, but we have also never had a tangible resource solely dedicated to sharing our personal IBS stories, either. This book should change that for the better.If you would like to submit your story for inclusion in the book, please send it to me either in the body of an email to ibsstories###yahoo.com or as a Word document attachment. Include your full name and a permanent email address. Organize your story chronologically for clarity, and try to be as detailed and clear as possible. Don�t worry too much about length or grammar, spelling and such, as I will edit each story as necessary. However, you will have final approval of your story as it is written for publication � this is your tale, and it should say exactly what you mean to say, however you need to say it. Please make sure that your story includes your name as you�d like it to appear in the book, your age now, your age at diagnosis, your city/state/country, and all other personal details that you feel other people would identify with (gender, marital/family status, profession, education, etc.). Remember that the more explicit your story is about who you are, what you do, and all that you have gone through, the more likely other readers will see themselves in you and benefit from this. It doesn�t matter where you are at in your life with IBS, it only matters that sharing the story gives you a sense of satisfaction. There are sure to be other readers who identify with each and every story in the book.All stories that are chosen for print will require a signed legal waiver granting permission of reproduction rights, which I will email to you. Everyone whose story is printed will receive a copy of the book. Please consider sharing your IBS story with others. I think this is wonderful project and I hope you will all participate. My deadline for receiving story submissions is May 30, so hopefully this gives you more than enough time. Thank you very much for your help and support.Best,Heather Van VorousEmail ibsstories###yahoo.comWebsite: www.eatingforibs.comWebsite: www.firstyearibs.com

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Thanks Heather
I will send you a copy of my story. I have hadIBS-D for 40 years along with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome...I have found through my diet I have hadremarkable improvements..I have searched for 40 years for some kind of relief and it wasn't until last year that I found any kind of remission at all...and my life was a nightmare for many years.but much freedom today.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Thanks Heather
I will send you a copy of my story. I have hadIBS-D for 40 years along with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome...I have found through my diet I have hadremarkable improvements..I have searched for 40 years for some kind of relief and it wasn't until last year that I found any kind of remission at all...and my life was a nightmare for many years.but much freedom today.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
A new book? LOL and I am sure you know why I laughed there.
Great idea Heather. Do I need to give you another one?Congradulations! Quite the talented author.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
A new book? LOL and I am sure you know why I laughed there.
Great idea Heather. Do I need to give you another one?Congradulations! Quite the talented author.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone. And Eric, you just stop laughing right this minute. You are the pot calling the kettle black.
I think I do need a new story from you, so things aren't repeated and also so you can go much more in depth. So far people are summarizing their stories much more than they need to. When you've had IBS for a lot of years you have a lot of details and particularly memorable incidents and such, and I'd like all of those to be included.- Heather

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone. And Eric, you just stop laughing right this minute. You are the pot calling the kettle black.
I think I do need a new story from you, so things aren't repeated and also so you can go much more in depth. So far people are summarizing their stories much more than they need to. When you've had IBS for a lot of years you have a lot of details and particularly memorable incidents and such, and I'd like all of those to be included.- Heather

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I will write a new one for you Heather. great.I do have a lot of particulars in thirty years. This is a good thing you do Heather and I like your writing style.
Tom, you know she wrote a second book.The First year IBS http://www.firstyearibs.com/

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I will write a new one for you Heather. great.I do have a lot of particulars in thirty years. This is a good thing you do Heather and I like your writing style.
Tom, you know she wrote a second book.The First year IBS http://www.firstyearibs.com/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.