Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The information I�m posting comes from a web site and book. I decided to post it on this Forum since it contains useful information on Constipation and excerpts (online) from the book, which is very easy and clear to read. It seems like the site is under construction and updated each day. I hope they get the link to a ask the Doctor working soon. It tells that from there, phone consultations are possible. I�m sure for a fee, etc. Check it out!!The site: Complete Colon Care http://www.constipation.net/begin.html The Book:Shinning Light On Constipation by Dr. Christopher Lahr M.D F.A.C.S http://www.constipation.net/publications/chapter01.html The Chapters are listed by number at the top of the page and if you hold the pointer on the number, the Title of the Chapter is highlighted in yellow.From Chapter 15:Non-relaxing Puborectalis MuscleFor the rest of the Chapter excerpt see: http://www.constipation.net/publications/chapter15.html At the bottom of the rectum, just as it is about to go into the anal canal, the rectum is kinked by the puborectalis muscle. The puborectalis muscle starts at the pubic bone, loops around the bottom of the rectum, and returns to the pubic bone like a sling. The puborectalis is a voluntary muscle. Puborectalis contraction kinks the lower rectum so rectal contents are not expelled when abdominal pressure increases. When coughing or lifting something heavy the puborectalis and external sphincter muscles tighten to prevent rectal contents from being pushed out. The nerve supply to these two muscles is very similar. They contract together, unless one muscle has been injured or cut. The puborectalis and external anal sphincter must relax to let the rectum empty. If the external sphincter and puborectalis tighten during straining then it is harder for the rectum to empty. We call this non-relaxing puborectalis, paradoxical puborectalis, spastic pelvic floor or anismus. Since these are voluntary muscles, they can sometimes be retrained just as a bad golf swing can be corrected through retraining and practice. To improve muscle function, the person must be able to see what his muscles are doing. We use computer equipment that shows the person how his sphincter muscles are moving. We call this treatment pelvic muscle retraining. It can also be used to strengthen weak muscles as we will discuss later. From Chapter 17 excerpt, Incontinence: http://www.constipation.net/publications/chapter17.html Pelvic muscle retrainingThe main focus of pelvic muscle retraining is to teach individuals how to relax and contract (squeeze) the muscles at the anal sphincter. A small sensor is placed at the rectum or vagina. The person stays dressed, and sits in a comfortable lounge chair. The sensor is connected by a cable to a computer. The computer records and measures the muscle movement while the individual watches the computer screen. When doing these exercises, called Kegel exercises, tighten the pelvic floor muscles as if trying not to pass gas or trying to stop the flow of urine. A woman may feel the muscles tighten around the vagina. A man may feel tightness at the anal sphincter. Try to hold these muscles tight for several seconds while breathing normally and keeping all other muscles relaxed. For example, the abdomen and buttock muscles should stay completely relaxed during this exercise. The only muscle that should feel tight is the muscle at the anal sphincter or the vagina. When the muscles are weak, it is hard to hold them for very long. Gradually, over the course of several weeks (or several months) it is easier to hold the muscles tight for a longer time (up to ten seconds). After tightening the muscles, let go and relax the muscles for ten seconds. If the muscles do not feel completely relaxed after ten seconds, then continue to try to relax them for another ten seconds. Five repetitions (contract/relax, contract/relax, contract/relax, etc.) make one set of Kegel exercises. Ten sets of Kegel exercises, that is 50 squeezes, should be done each day. A helpful way to remember to do the exercises is to do them once an hour or at various "cues" during the day such as hanging up the phone, stopping at red lights or watching commercials on the TV. A person can do more sets, up to 100 Kegel exercises daily, as the muscles get stronger. It is important to continue doing these exercises for two to three months to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles adequately. After that time, the exercises must be continued in order to keep the muscles in shape, or they will weaken again. After the symptoms are under control, the exercises should be done at least several days each week. Some individuals may benefit from using special equipment while doing the exercises at home. However, the average person can do them daily at home without any special equipment.------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

G

·
my daughter has awful anismus and this has contributed to her severe constipation.. she has had about 4 series of botox injections in the anal area...they are given to relax the muscles enough to pass stool..they last about 3-4 months.she said she noticed the spasms at age 5-6 ..she thought everyone had them! she is 17 now.sorry about all the edits.. its early and i kept mispelling words!![This message has been edited by hebbysmom (edited 08-10-2001).][This message has been edited by hebbysmom (edited 08-10-2001).][This message has been edited by hebbysmom (edited 08-10-2001).]

G

·
my daughter has awful anismus and this has contributed to her severe constipation.. she has had about 4 series of botox injections in the anal area...they are given to relax the muscles enough to pass stool..they last about 3-4 months.she said she noticed the spasms at age 5-6 ..she thought everyone had them! she is 17 now.sorry about all the edits.. its early and i kept mispelling words!![This message has been edited by hebbysmom (edited 08-10-2001).][This message has been edited by hebbysmom (edited 08-10-2001).][This message has been edited by hebbysmom (edited 08-10-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.