Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if anybody else suffers from shortness of breath due to IBS. I was told my Gastroenterologist that I have IBS. I don't suffer from diarrhea, but from very irregular bowel movements. What I have suffered from for the past year is anxiety and shortness of breath. The simplest form of exercise makes be breathless as if I just ran a 10-mile marathon. Making a bed, vacuuming, even walking up and down grocery aisles makes leaves me gasping for air. I also notice that the shortness of breath gets worse after eating a meal especially if I overeat even just a little.Has anyone heard of this happening because of IBS? Does anyone else suffer from this symptom? I am desperate to know I am not alone.Also, it was explained to me that IBS is an inflammation of the large intestine. If so, why don't they prescribe anything to bring the inflammation down????? None of the medications I have been given have helped much and after a while they just cause much nausea. I am so desperate I am next going to try a naturopathic doc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Breathless, I am so happy to meet you!! I get very SOB too, but it's only when my abdomen is bloated (which seems like it's most of the time). Just to venture a guess, I think that air or digested food just "sits" in the intestine which results in a decreased ability of our diaphragm in fully expanding-which results in SOB. Makes sense to me, but I'm not a Dr.! I do not have diarrhea either-only on a rare occassion. Are you taking anything for your bowels? Please go on with the symptoms, I'm trying to find out it other people have all the same crazy things I do!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried any of the anti-gas medications, such as Beano or one of the Simethicone formulations? bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never tried Beano although my doctor has suggested it. I have tried just about every gas medication known to man and they don't seem to help much. I have tried taking ginger root capsules which do seem to help with expelling the gas.I will, however, now try Beano. Thanks for the suggestion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IBS is not really an inflammation of the large intestine. They don't really know what causes IBS, because the intestine appears to be normal. This is why there is no cure for IBS. I too get SOB from time to time if my tummy is acting up. I'm not really sure why this happens. Take care! K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts