Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a very tough run with all my various symptoms. My GI has pretty much ruled out all the major gastro illnesses so we are now at IBS. However, my GI thinks my pain is way out of proportion to what normal IBS pain should be and she now wants to admit me to the hospital on Monday if I am not improved. My c-reactive proteins and sed rates were elevated indicating inflammation somewhere and I think she thinks I have something else going on in addition to the IBS. I just hate the idea of being hospitalized. I especially hate it since I don't know what they could possibly do for me... On the other hand I am very tired of hurting and want to get better...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Please let us know what happens, and if you have to go into the hospital, what they find is going on with you .Keep in touch, and I hope everything works out well for you, and they get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to let you all know that I did not improve over the weekend and will be admitted to the hospital today. I hope to figure out once and for all what is going on and will let you all know once I am out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So sorry to hear that..I agree that it probably would be good to get checked out even if it is to elimenate certain conditions and give you some peace of mind. The only advise I can give you is to ask a lot of questions, don't be afraid to ask them to explain it over again and again until you feel like you can grasp all the information, should things get confusing..Hang in there, perhaps bring something that can distract you (book, music or even some motivational cd's)You're in my thoughts and prayers!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
newsjunkie I hope your okay.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was just released after a TERRIBLE hospital experience. I don't know if it is just me but as soon as doctors hear "IBS" it's like they don't want anything to do with you.I was admitted because of increased unrelenting pain. I had already had every abdominal-related test known to man and came up with nothing. I had some inflammation in my blood so they knew SOMETHING was going on but not what.Anyway, they did an MRI, told me there was nothing wrong with me and referred me to a psychiatrist who they said could teach me ways to cope with the pain. Great- except when he came (for his 5 minute chat)he said he didn't know anything about that.The doctors wouldn't even manage my pain while I was there or call for a pain management consult because I "just" have IBS and the pain isn't THAT bad.I had somewhat of an emotional breakdown after all that. I feel like all hope is lost and I don't know what to do. The kicker is that as I am in the process of being discharged my doctor tells me to fill this prescription. I asked him what it was for and he said it was an antibiotic to treat C. difficile! Hello??? When was he going to tell me this? So now I am thinking the C. diff caused the increase in pain and once it gets better all will be well.I hope.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Unbelievable
I'm not surprised you had an emotional breakdown. You poor thing, I know exactly how bad the pain from c-diff is as I've had it - awful! As if IBS isn't bad enough. I knew the day I started with c-diff that something was very wrong - especially when you start passing huge amounts of blood. Thank goodness my Dr believed me. I'd never heard of c-diff before and decided to research as much as I could. Put it into Google and loads of info comes up. There's a good site too for people with this http://www.cdiffsupport.com/phpBB/ However, it can be a little depressing some of the topics as c-diff can be quite hard to get rid of, the spores can re-hatch. I was treated with Flagyl but there's another antibiotic called Vancomycin that can be given. One really important thing is not to take any anti-diarrhoea meds - the body needs to get rid of the toxins. Once you have completed the antibiotics you need to get re-tested - I'd wait a couple of weeks before getting tested.I now take a really good probiotic, one with 25 billion micro-organisms. I also take Culturelle - there's been some good reports on this helping with c-diff. Touch wood, I've been clear of the c-diff for two years now.I've no idea how I got the c-diff - hadn't been in hospital or had any recent antibiotics - a complete mystery! Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Newsjunkie - it's gets a bit confusing when we have two topics on the same subject
You asked on the other topic:- "What was your pseudo colitis experience like? How did you know that it had progressed to that instead of just being C. diff? More severe symptoms or a lab test? What did they do for you? Hospitalization or just more meds?".The amount of bleeding was the clue! I don't mean just a little, there was alot. Pseudomebranous Colitis, is when the colon wall inflammation becomes so pronounced and eroded by the toxins, that it begins to hemorrhage. At that stage Dr didn't know for sure what I had, the test proved it. Only treatment I had was the antibiotics. I wasn't hospitalised.Thanks to Talissa on here, I researched probiotics and am now too scared to stop taking them!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never intended to make my two posts so confusing!
lolThanks for the info. It is very strange as I had some very loose stools and took Imodium for it as they were sort of... leaky. Ew. I know now not to take Imodium but I have yet to have any kind of BM- firm, soft, watery, bloody, or otherwise. Hopefully my case is just really mild and I won't get any bad symptoms and will recover fine once I start the Vancomycin on Monday.I am somewhat of an alarmist, though, so I am glad to know I need to look for a LOT of blood if it is progressing to something more serious. Did that happen to you before you were treated? How long had you had symptoms?

·
Registered
984 Posts
No one could have panicked more than I did
Thank God for this BB as at the time I didn't have a clue what c-diff was - sounded more like a cleaning product
Some of the stuff I read via Google and that c-diff support site almost scared me to death! I've just dug out my 2004 diary as I'd made a note of when it started - how exciting
I started with it in the middle of the night, 30th April, woke up with the most horrendous pains, D and by morning the blood was appearing. 31st was a bank holiday so I didn't see a Dr until the Tuesday. Did sample on the Wednesday, got the result the following Monday and started Flagyl that day. I'd say the worst symptoms lasted around two days. Didn't have anymore blood loss after that. I was scheduled for a sigmoidoscopy for my IBS on 18th June - had to be last on the list due to the fact I'd had the c-diff - great...just put a bell around my neck
I had two further stool tests, one on the 6th July and another on the 27th July - both negative. I kept thinking the c-diff had come back! Any other questions, just ask.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.