Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure I have IBS because I haven't been diagnosed by a medical doctor, but I'm thinking of seeing one. Please tell me if I should. Or if my symptoms warrant being a member of ibsgroup.About a year ago I got hit by a car on my bike and my wrist was crushed and leg broken in three places. That was all fine and dandy until I got an infection a week after the surgery. After tons of antibiotics it cleared up. Six months down the road my doctor decided to go back into the wrist to take the metal out and rearrange some bone. Well I got another infection. So after being hit by a car, six surgeries and two infections, I'm still alive by some miracle. But my guts just don't seem to have recovered from all the narcotic pain medications and antibiotics. I realized quickly that the narcotics made me constipated which was worse than the pain so I quit taking those a long time ago. But now my bowels alternate from feeling constipated to diarreah. My stools aren't actually hard and impacted, I just don't seem to get the urge to go. And sometimes I can't and it's been two days. It's extremely frustrating. And at night, now it seems like every other night, it's like there's a thunderstorm in my gut. Sometimes I have to use Dulcolax suppositories to get it going. But I can't continue to do that. Isn't that bad or habit forming? I've tried eating lots of yogurt to re-establish good bacteria, but that doesn't seem to work in the long run. Is there some canned supplement that contains all of the bacteria my bowel needs to work right?I'm a student and I'm under a little stress from that. But especially from the insurance companies, lawyers, and money issues from the accident. Is that the entire problem?I don't know what to do and this is ruining my life. If this isn't where I should go to get help for my problems, please, please offer me some suggestions.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi gorfgar, welcome to the board
Of course you can be here.
But it is very important for you to see a doctor about your symtpoms. Once you get a diagnosis you will know what you're dealing with. Also, your doctor can suggest ways of managing your symptoms. Many people have had problems after courses of antibiotics. You can take a supplement form of probiotics (the good bacteria that is in the yoghurts youare eating) and see if that works. If you feel stress is contributing to your symptoms, there are things you can do about that. You can learn relaxation techniques which relax both the mind and the body. Remember the two communicate with each other. Being relaxed in one will encourage the other to follow the same pattern. Please go and see your doctor so you can establish what it is you are dealing with. Best wishes,

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi gorfgar, welcome to the board
Of course you can be here.
But it is very important for you to see a doctor about your symtpoms. Once you get a diagnosis you will know what you're dealing with. Also, your doctor can suggest ways of managing your symptoms. Many people have had problems after courses of antibiotics. You can take a supplement form of probiotics (the good bacteria that is in the yoghurts youare eating) and see if that works. If you feel stress is contributing to your symptoms, there are things you can do about that. You can learn relaxation techniques which relax both the mind and the body. Remember the two communicate with each other. Being relaxed in one will encourage the other to follow the same pattern. Please go and see your doctor so you can establish what it is you are dealing with. Best wishes,

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For some people it seems that the IBS does start after having to do some heavy duty antibiotics.It's worth running it past a doctor as depending on all the symptoms you have there may be some tests they want to run to make sure it is IBS and not something else.The normal stool frequency is 3 a day to 3 a week. So skipping a day or two isn't that far outside the normal range, but it can make some people quite uncomfortable.If the suppositories are just Glycerine they are safe to use regularly as they are just lubrication. If they have stimulatory laxative ingredients (even the herbal ones like senna and cascara) then try to limit use to 1-2 a month. Regular use of stimulatory laxatvie over time can make the colon dependant on them in some people.Some of the bacteria in yogurts are better suited for making yogurt rather than colonizing human beings. There are several brands of Probiotic bacteria that people here have had good luck with (Acidophilus is a common name used for these, but the quality can vary dramatically) Probiotica (made by Imodium and usually near it in the store) Culturelle (www.culturelle.com if no local health food store or pharmacy has it...some places will order it for you) and PB8 (www.nutritionnow.com/PB8.htm) which has a number of different bacteria is another brand. GNC carries a number of products including one that sounds similar to the PB8 as it has a number of different species.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For some people it seems that the IBS does start after having to do some heavy duty antibiotics.It's worth running it past a doctor as depending on all the symptoms you have there may be some tests they want to run to make sure it is IBS and not something else.The normal stool frequency is 3 a day to 3 a week. So skipping a day or two isn't that far outside the normal range, but it can make some people quite uncomfortable.If the suppositories are just Glycerine they are safe to use regularly as they are just lubrication. If they have stimulatory laxative ingredients (even the herbal ones like senna and cascara) then try to limit use to 1-2 a month. Regular use of stimulatory laxatvie over time can make the colon dependant on them in some people.Some of the bacteria in yogurts are better suited for making yogurt rather than colonizing human beings. There are several brands of Probiotic bacteria that people here have had good luck with (Acidophilus is a common name used for these, but the quality can vary dramatically) Probiotica (made by Imodium and usually near it in the store) Culturelle (www.culturelle.com if no local health food store or pharmacy has it...some places will order it for you) and PB8 (www.nutritionnow.com/PB8.htm) which has a number of different bacteria is another brand. GNC carries a number of products including one that sounds similar to the PB8 as it has a number of different species.K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies..I will go to a doctor, but what kind of doctor should I see? Is there a doctor who would know specifically about ibs? My surgeon might know, but he's impossible to get ahold of. Also thank you for the advice on supplements. I will try PB8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your replies..I will go to a doctor, but what kind of doctor should I see? Is there a doctor who would know specifically about ibs? My surgeon might know, but he's impossible to get ahold of. Also thank you for the advice on supplements. I will try PB8.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hello and welcome. Everyone has given you some good info, but to answer your question, it is best to see a gastroenterologist who will be able to clearly diagnose if you have IBS, or perhaps another condition with similar symptoms. That is your best route, which most of us here have done.Good luck and take care!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hello and welcome. Everyone has given you some good info, but to answer your question, it is best to see a gastroenterologist who will be able to clearly diagnose if you have IBS, or perhaps another condition with similar symptoms. That is your best route, which most of us here have done.Good luck and take care!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.