Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background info; I'm 23. I went through 3 months of severe D and pain everyday at the end of last year. Since then things have been on and off. Some weeks I'm really bad, like last week, but then some days like today I feel fine. I get weird pains too like stabbing pains that I sometimes even feel in my chest.I started on mebeverine 2 months ago and I think it has possibly improved things but since things seemed to be getting better anyways and I don't know how much of that is due to the mebeverine. I still get D and pain.Two weeks ago I passed some blood and mucus on its own. Passing mucus on its own has been quite common for me over the past year but this is the first time there was blood. I also think that there may have been a little blood when I had D last week.I went to the doctor and told her and she offered me a colonoscopy but I'm scared and don't know whether its worth it. She said something about crohn's but I'm not sure how consistent my symptoms are with the disease. The D and pain comes and goes. I do have D and pain more often than I feel well but it's not constant. On top of that my blood tests all came back normal and didn't indicate any inflammation. So I'm not sure there is any point since it doesn't look likely they will find something?And another question, if my D had been caused by crohn's last year would they still be able to see signs of it now even if I'm not in a flare anymore?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually with crohns you want to get the colonoscopy while you are bleeding more than during other symptoms.However if the bleeding clears up and is fresh it is likely a anal irritation/internal hemmie rather than higher up.If the bleeding doesn't clear up I'd get a look-see, and I'd keep an eye on your blood work to see if it goes abnormal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't be scared to have a colonoscopy. It is painless. Nowadays you are blissfully asleep during the test. Years ago when I had my first colonoscopy, I was awake! Not fun. The only difficult part of a colonoscopy is 1. the preparation to clear out the intestinal tract - yuck! 2. the bill afterwards. But if it gives you piece of mind, you should consider this. ALso, I have had a catscan (I drank this white liquid and then went into the big white machine with a hole in the middle for photographing my abdomen). Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.