Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people have gotten an endoscopy or colonoscopy?
Have you gotten an endoscopy?
Yes637.50%
No1062.50%
Have you gotten a colonoscopy?
Yes743.75%
No956.25%
Do you think you should get these procedures done just to be sure you don't have some other digestive disorder?
Yes1487.50%
No212.50%
How important is it to get these procedures done in order to be sure you have IBS and not something else?
Very important743.75%
Quite important743.75%
Not that important212.50%
Not important at all00.00%

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I'm just wondering whether most people have gotten both an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. I was meant to get an endoscopy but when was talking to the doctor she kept pressing me about how I'm feeling and my stress levels and I started crying because I I haven't been in a very good place for the past few years. So now because she thinks I have psychological problems she thinks I have IBS and I don't think I'm going to get either an endoscopy or a colonoscopy anymore.

Should I be getting these medical procedures done to rule out all other possibilities? I've had a feeling of incomplete evacuation for four years now and also recently I had really bad episodes of nausea with one going on for over a week leaving me bed riden and forcing me to go to the A&E. I know I have stress and am in a bad place emotionally but I feel like I should have my stomach and bowels checked in case of something more serious?

What do people think, should I press my doctor to get these procedures done, just so I know for sure? I don't think I'm crazy to think that makes sense, am I?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Those two things aren't pleasant, but yeah you should push your doctors in my opinion. I actually find myself always pushing doctors into some additional tests, because you never know, right? There is nothing wrong with being a bit paranoid over your own body and your own health. I always do that. I mean, some things that I have pushed my doctors to weren't necessary, but some were quite a bit discovery - like some additional things that you can learn by those tests, so you should go for it. I know many people who take doctors and all those tests very lightly and it's not the best approach, my friend recently even injured his wrist and he didn't go to doctor about that, after a month it just got worse and now he gotta wait like 6 months for it to recover, instead of just two months if he went to doctor right ahead, so there is a lesson for him :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had both done in January to confirm I only have IBS and not something more serious (also family history of colon cancer). The procedures themselves are not bad as they put you to sleep.....once you're out you don't feel a thing (it goes so fast you won't believe it's already over).

The worst is prepping for the colonoscopy. There's no prep for the endoscopy (you just can't eat or drink anything the day of the procedure).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!
I have had both procedures done while sedated, it was great, I went in had my injection and woke up to coffee and biscuits.
The prep isnt so bad either, it was hard not being able to eat anything.
I was very anxious about having it done but it was definitely worth it to rule things out!

Good luck😊

·
Registered
41 Posts
I need an endoscopy, but my doctor doesn't recommend it.

I just want to know what the heck is wrong with my stomach. But I'm wagering that it's all in my mind for some reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.