Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK..Just when I feel like I'm making some progress it all comes crashing back down and I hit rock bottom. Having D and Gas at work is so humiliating.
If I don't have D and gas I have C and gas.. Its usually too late before I realiZe I should have gone home sick..I've offended too many of my coworkers
although noone has directly said anything to me. I know they talk behind my back. I like my job..my boss even said I could work some at home and he was understanding..but I feel like the lowest thing on earth right now. I would like to crawl into a hole and not come out.I've tried a lot of things...naturopathy, herbs, fibre supplements, dietary changes, stress reduction.... I know I always tell other people not to quit..but I really need to hear it from someone else! I'm afraid of loosing my job as I smell so bad sometimes.Jane

·
Registered
280 Posts
I worked as a hairstylist for seven years at the same shop. I quit two and a half years ago. I was having such a hard time. My biggest problem was panic attacks. It was hard to be working on someones hair and have the fear or have to go right in the middle. Customers aren't too understanding if you would have to stop in the middle of a haircut or worse yet perm or color where you can't just stop. I also felt that my coworkers felt I was either faking to leave early or making fun of me...but some did understand my problem and tried to help out when even they could. I tried cutting my hours at first and that helped. Then I started having trouble with my arms and my husband told me to just quit and be a fulltime Mom. Which I love so much to be home with my kids. I wasn't that happy at my job any more and that made my anxiety worse. So if you really like your job I'd try to stick in there. Maybe you could cut your hours? Your boss said you could work some at home....thats great. The only idea I can think of to help with the smell is maybe you can carry some perfume in your purse and spray it to hide the smell?? I'd really try to find a way to stick it out if you can because you don't want to hide away like I have....after a while you'll start to feel like a hermit.Good luck!
Kimmie

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Jane, I take a walk, a BRISK walk once an hour. My supervisors all understand what happens when that 5 minute walk does not happen. I take shorter breaks, often skip lunch or work a little late to make up for any work I miss, but that walk gets me outside and lets the gas escape where it does not offend. I still sometimes let one at my desk, and when I do, I say "sorry guys, I farted" They all laugh, and it is not behind my back because I share in the joke by starting it. You HAVE to live with this, and so do your co-workers, so make the best of it, and do not let it bother you. Works for me. Love, Maggie------------------Praying for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

G

·
Hang in there!! I would love nothing more than a world full of understanding people.... I took the IBS for newbies from the bullentin board to work so people could read it- I don't like people saying I'm sick all the time-- Fact is, besides "D" every 3-4 days (that keeps me tied to my toliet for about 5 hours
), I am not sick at all- no colds, etc. I am lucky because I work with animals, so we are all used to "poop", & the animals certainly don't talk back to me. Hang in there, don't let this stomach beast chain you to your house!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Jane you are being very hard on yourself...if you quit your job would you then still be hard on yourself for quitting?? I know it's difficult to cope with...but at least for me, I would feel worse if I quit. Hang in there...you can do it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do you want or need the income?Can you get another job that is just as good or better once you leave this one?Can you be happier somewhere else?Can you find more suitable or flexible work that meets your needs BEFORE you quit this job?A woman here who quit her job found herself in great distress about her financial difficulties afterwards. I myself would not cope well at all with feeling I wasn't pulling my share in this financial contract known as marriage. It's a tough decision. I hope all these bb comments help you consider the angles before you decide, and prevent later regret at making a poor-for-you decision. It is reasonably likely that your life will work out fairly well considering you have IBS no matter what you decide to do.
[This message has been edited by joan (edited 03-02-2000).]

G

·
You might also think about speaking with friends at work who you feel comfortablw with. Just let them know why this happens to you. And if you don't mind having people know about it, you might suggest that you wouldn't object if they sort of spread the word. I've found that once people know what's going on (whether it's their business or not) they usually back off. If you're in a communal office or cubicle you might also ask your boss to move you to a 'separate' space, whether it's an office or a 'less populated' area. He sounds like a fairly understanding person. Good Luck!!

G

·
Jane, You've already gotten some great suggestions for handling your co-workers. Since you like your job don't give up on yourself especially if your boss is understanding. I would have been delighted if my boss had made me the same offer, it sure would have helped me over the struggles with IBS over the past year.Your symptoms sound so much like mine last year when I would have said I was a C&D and oh sooooo G! For me I found I can't eat any fruit or products with fructose, corn syrup or sorbitol. That really got rid of my D and the worst of the G. I still have G episodes but they are infrequent and not nearly as smelly. What I'm taking a very long way to say is, keep trying, keep experimenting and don't let this syndrome/disorder from H--- run your life and lower your self esteem! I do know how hard it is, I've continued to work through the whole thing.Hang in there! Jackie

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You know I second the fructose thing to some extent. There are many products you may not think of which contain it...cereals etc. in the form of corn syrup.The reason I say "to some extent" above is because I've heard that fructose is absorbed better in the presence of table sugar. So when I have my apple a day, I have a couple cookies made with real sugar & some high fiber flour. They're pretty small cookies, but this little trick I came-up with kept my belching gas under better control.

G

·
Think of your options to quitting. You can take a short leave for "personal" reasons, or even a short "medical" leave. Even if it's unpaid for you it would be worth it. Just take a month or two off & give yourself a break! Where I work it automatically turns into short-term disability which is fine for me, and that's what I'm doing right now. I will probably return to work at the end of March. I have ulcerative colitus also, which makes it a little worse for me, but it's really all the same thing. I really believe that people like us who have ongoing health problems deserve a break every now and then. After all that's why these companies have "leave-of-absence" and "short-term" policies. By not quitting your job, and just taking a break from it you will have the piece of mind that you still DO have a job. Good Luck. -JOHN

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Jane,I totally sympathize with your dilema. To be honest if I could afford to quit my job...I would. It is really hard dealing with IBS in the work place, and I happen to be lucky. I have my own private office. Most everyone here has their own office, but I'm the only one who keeps their door closed. I guess all of you can figure out why...because of the "gas" problem. It's a sure bet most of the people around here just think I'm anti-social, and I guess I am..but not because I want to be. People do come in and out during the day, so I make sure I keep some air freshener in my desk, so I won't offend anyone. Also I am a smoker and we are not allowed to smoke in the building..we have to go outside, so that gives me an opportunity to get out of here for a few minutes, several times a day which helps a lot. Only you can make the decision as to whether to quit or not, but I will say if my boss offered to let me do some work from home..I would jump on the idea. What time of day is worse for you? If mornings are worse, maybe you could work at home in the mornings and come in for the afternoon...or vice versa. Good luck, whatever you decide.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jane, You are having a bad day. We have sure all been there. There were days I wanted to quit my job, but could not as I am my only support. When I have problems first thing in the morning, I leave my boss a message an his phone that I will be a little late. Fortunately he understands I will be in as soon as I feel I can make the drive from home to work. I always have extra clothes in my car. The worst was the day I was at lunch with my boss and out of no where it happened. Nothing like walking thru a restaurant with P--- running down your legs. I wanted a hole to crawl into and not come out. Couldn't do that though. Some days are really difficult, but maybe if you talked to fellow employees they would understand alittle better. I don't go out to lunch anymore, but do try to walk outside on nicer days. Take care and don't beat yourself up so much, I know its tough. The caltrate has been helping me somewhat.Mary Jo

·
Registered
675 Posts
Jane,If I could be a full time homemaker I would.Financially, it's impossible. I only work3 days a week and it is still very stressful.If you could do it financially and not be down on yourself about it. I would have to say do it! I don't know your circumstances, but even if you could take 6 months or a year off to calm down and feel better about yourself physically or mentally, I think it would be beneficial. Maybe you could come up with some work at home scheme.If my husband told me to quit, Man, I wouldn't even come in to pick up my last check!!!!! (Only kidding there) And I am trying to start an at home business.THINK HARD. love to all.

G

·
Hi Jane,I know how difficult these decisions are. I quit my job in Nov. after an embarrassing accident with diarrhea at work. But after being home for 3 months I did feel guilty about helping with finances and actually became depressed enough to see a Psy and get an anti-depressant. I've decided to work two part-time jobs, enough to contribute and not be too fearful.Hang in there. I'm going to try Caltrate+ everyone is raving about and will say a little prayer for your happiness, too.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Jane,Before you quit your job go talk to your boss. Be totally honest so he/she knows what you are going through. Is going part-time an option? I have a terrible time with "d" and gas and work fulltime as a nurse. There have been times when I actually didn't make it to the bathroom in time and had to change clothes or wear dirty ones (which I tried to clean as best I could) because I can't afford to quit. I talked to some of my co-workers and told them about my problem and of course word got around, but everyone is totally understanding about it. When I say I have to go they know I mean it. I had a nasty accident two weeks ago which prompted me to come home and go over my finances. I am going part-time at work which will give me income but also reduce the stress level and hopefully reduce the "D". I take Citracal, which is a calcium citrate (causes less gas and indigestion for me), and it has helped so much but there are still times when even it doesn't do the trick. Good luck in whatever you decide and I think if you "come clean" with a few of your closest co-workers you will find they really do understand.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys all make great therapists...I think K9Mom had it right .. I probably wouldn't be able to handle quitting any more than holding a job. I feel lucky to have a boss who understands. Mammamia - I'm thinking...Thanks to all of you... I'm still not sure how to handle this, but thanks John for the suggestions. I may just take a leave of absence if I get to this point again next week. Its funny but I always feel like a real human being by the time Friday afternoon rolls around. I usually feel good until Sunday night
Special thanks to all of you - I wish you all good health and a wonderful weekend -

·
Registered
304 Posts
I work with disabled children who are all in diapers (ages 3-14). None of us mind the smell of poop or gas. I have a very difficult time breathing if anyone gets carried away with spraying air freshener. Give me the smell of 'anything' natural anyday! CeCe

G

·
Jane, dont feel bad. I have lost a number of jobs from this problem. I have began to start laughing at myself. I have finally found a job where work by my myself. Its going well and im self employed. Would you like a job working for me? Please email me.Ocean

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Jane!Wow have I been there! My last job was a total nighnmare as far as IBS. I worked at a Payroll and Tax Co in the Production Dept...so we were ALWAYS under deadlines, there was always some crisis. God forbid you made a mistake-you just don't make mistakes with people's payroll! Anyways....I worked with a bunch of guys my age...frat guys...ugh-that just made me more anxious because god forbid something embarassing happened...I really doubt I would have ever lived it down. My supervisor was an assh-e too, never did like me (always made catty comments at me-"You're not 30? Oh, you just look 30." Gee thanks I'm 25 bungmunch)....dunno why. I think it's because I'm not gorgeous. Honestly that's it. There was a coworker of mine who was VERY pretty(always dressed to the nines with full make-up and her hair all done out) and she got treated like gold. The guys were all "good ole boys" and then there's...me. I'm not ugly(I'm a "cute" girl LOL)-but I don't paint myself up and I NEVER wear dresses. I just felt like odd man out with these people. I always got a weird vibe. It got to the point where I cut my workdays back to 2 days a week. I was still dreading it all the time. I actually developed gobs of muccous in my stool (ew I know!), which was very scary for me. I was taking a helluva lot of meds(even 5 immod was no gaurantee) just to get through a shift and I think I was wearing my bowels out...*L*. I finally just said,"WHat the hell...I hate my life because of this job, it shadows EVERY decision I make...I even have nightmares about it-to HELL with this." And I quit
I felt like I had the biggest burden lifted off my shoulders. But then I hated my job anyways for alot of reasons...I should have left alot sooner but this job looked good on my resume plus it had full benefits even for P/T work. When I did leave I did it the right way...I gave two weeks notice, gritted my teeth and thanked everyone for being "so great to work with.
" I even got a cake much to my surprise!Sorry for going off on a tangent in your thread, but this topic really hit close to home. I just wanted yo to know I can relate to what you're going through!It sounds like you like your job though, so I'm sure something can be worked out, especially if he'll let you telecommute some of the time. Maybe you could do that during your flare-ups ? I'm sure he'd understand-he sounds like a nice guy.Good luck to you! Email me if you ever want to talk about it!
ps-sorry to ramble so much, I'm in a chatty mood
[This message has been edited by Pekeluvr (edited 03-03-2000).]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts