Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I should see a psychologist for help. Am starting to think all this IBS is also due to all the stress I've had last year. Am saying this cause I cannot find a logical explanations for all the weird symptoms I have....it is impossible to have cramps either up or down, pain left and right...and up and down, either find it difficult to have a BM cause the stool is too thick then too soft, then too thin or all in the same time.... My symptoms change is nature and intensity every month! So what do you think? Could it indeed be all in my head? I am thinking of something else...and it is a bit intimate but...there you go...a year ago I also met my future husband and when I met him I thought wow! this is the man I've always been waiting for...I was so happy ...mainly because I never had a happy love life...and then this idea started t grow in my mind...that I cannot be THAT lucky...and that something bad would happen next to balance everything....and then this IBS started just a few months later...So...am just saying...do you think it is possible it is all in my head?

·
Registered
373 Posts
HiI am a firm believer that IBS is not all in our heads.There is no doubt stress can heighten symptoms but to me it is a real illness with a physical cause that the medical profession can't find (they are educated guessers after all). The research into IBS is scant and that is a scandal as it affects 1 in 5 persons.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Counseling may be of some use though as negative thoughts could contribute to stress and make your IBS symptoms worse. You could look into CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). Many with IBS have benefited from CBT.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I agree with Riddick. CBT certainly has helped many IBS'ers and might be something good for you to pursue.But...NO it isn't ALL in your head... but there is no denying a mind body connection.However I do not agree with you when you say that since you found an awesome mate that somehow now you have to have something "bad" to balance that out. I do not think life works like that.I think most people on the face of the earth have some sort of weakness/illness in their bodies and we just happen to have IBS.. and that's just life... NOT some sort of punishment... So sure.. Try looking for a therapist who offers CBT .. it certainly can't hurt you!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. I am sorry if I upset anybody with the " could it all be in my head" question. I wasn't thinking that everybody with IBS has it just in his or her head. I was merely wondering if this could be true in my particular case. Equally I don't believe that meeting my mate sent IBS my way...but I am wondering if not the thought of it....the fear that grew in my mind after that unconsciously, even if I obviously dismissed it as not being logical...might have psychologically influenced me into developing certain symptoms...don't know if I make any sense....but there is something called "psycho-somatic" diseases...is when you actually obsess so much about being ill that you develop symptoms. Again...am not saying that this is the case of all IBS-ers ....am just wondering if it might be an explanation in my particular case and if seeing a therapist could give me some answers.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Then yes Tana, if you would like to know that, a therapist would be the one to ask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.