Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Linda - I have been taking two calcium per day, but recently have found my bm's getting looser. Will it hurt if I take another, thus making a total intake per day of 1800 mg.?Many thanks, hope you are well.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Hi Peaches,I don't know if Linda responded to this or not; but it is worth keeping in mind that the benefits you get from the calcium are for the percentage that is not being absorbed. Consequently, you would be getting probably less, and possibly much less, than half of those proposed 1800 mg, based on usual absorbency factors. The brand I take uses an exclusive bonding process that absorbs at over 90%, thus having no effect on my bowels, and they are now suggesting 1250 mg per day for those of us who are senoirs. Consequently, three Caltrate a day would give you much less than the amount my kidneys have processed for 12 years; and so far I have shown no problems.Good luck.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually on Linda's thread most people take it 3X a day. Now they may take a 1/2 tablet 3X a day if the 3 doses of 600 are too constipating.The USRDA max for Calcium supplements is 2000 mgs a day so taking the third dose isn't going to put you in the too high a dose range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.