Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my doctor suggested I take Zelnorm.I'm generally against prescription drugs as is, especially ones fresh on the market because what they don't tell you is that this period is actually the third round of testing with very little control, and no guarantee that people will actually report adverse effects.
What JenniferAnne and erinjk said about the excessive diarrhea is not that uncommon. In fact, the FDA has issued a new warning that it can cause extreme diarrhea resulting in hospitalization.I'm not a fan, but I do have to go on with my life, and this could help.I would really appreciate personal experiences from anyone out there.
-Kirya

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,I started taking Zelnorm about 3 weeks ago. It really help me with the bloating and the abdominal pains. Besides a bit of diarrhea and headaches (at the beginning), I have not experienced any other side-effects. You can only take this medicine for a period of 3 months. I think you should give it a try! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I wish I had not taken Zelnorm, to be honest. Before Zelnorm, I was IBS-C. My biggest problems were pain and bloating, and sometimes I would have attacks where the C would be so bad I'd be crying in pain. I figured Zelnorm would be a good choice. I was on it for little more than a month and had to go off. Even when I cut my dosage down to one-fourth the normal dose, I was having D all the time. After I went off it, I expected to go back to my normal C, but I never did. Since then, I've had problems with D more than I ever did with C. There have been more occasions than I can count where my D was nearly uncontrollable, and often taking Immodium doesn't help. I NEVER had these problems before Zelnorm. I'm not blaming Zelnorm as I'm sure IBS has a way of alternating, but it sure seems coincidental that I never had D problems before Zelnorm, and even now, almost a year after I took it, I have to deal with D on a regular basis.I hope if you decide to take it that it works better for you than it did for me. I have heard a LOT of success stories, which is why I was willing to give it a chance. I just wish it had helped me!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only been on Zelnorm for less than a week. My doctor had me cut the tablets in half, so I think I'm taking 3mg I'm not really sure. At first I got D but it's getting better. I'm only taking one half pill in the morning. Tomorrow I up my dose to one half pill in the morning and at night. It's gotten better though, and my D has becomed more solid and stuff. So hopefully it will work for me

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys- this really helps.AS of now I'm still trying to get biofeedback therapy-- sort of a last show of faith that my body and I can coexist before I decide to drug it up.
Unfortunately I have state aid insurance (MediCal) which is ####. So funding is an issue.
We shall see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.