Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Lotronex a few years back, only for a month, as soon as I figured out my dosage I should take, they took it off the market. I was down to a half a pill aday and it was working really well for about 2 weeks. I started out on the recommended dosage and it gave me really bad cramping and constipation, which I never thought in the past 11 yrs that I would ever get constipated again after suffering from cronic "D" I go to the doctors this Friday, I'm thinking about asking for the lotronex again, I am presently on Hyoscamine, and I take calcuim, but the hyoscamine doesn't seem to be helping me much these days..I've been on it for over 3 yrs. Has anyone been on the lotronex recently? and if so..tell me what you dosage is and if it really helps you?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've been back on Lotronex since December 19, 2002. I take one pill in the morning and one-half pill in the evening. I am getting great results. I know that this is not the case for everyone who posts here, so the only advice I can give you is that you won't know unless you try. We are all different not only from each other, but from what our bodies were two years ago when Lotronex was withdrawn. No one can predict how well or not well you will do. Also bear in mind that the first prescription has to be for one pill a day, and that may not work for you. After 30 days, your doctor can prescribe 2 pills a day. Since your question implies that you and your doctor haven't discussed the restricted distribution program yet,I urge you to read the entire www.lotronex.com website that GSK has set up, including the sections for doctors and pharmacists, so that you understand all the restrictions and the physician registration plan before you see your doctor. You may find yourself explaining the program to him or her, so you may want to print all the forms, but especially the physician attestation and the patient-physician agreement. Since you're female, your insurance will probably pay, but if they don't, Lotronex is quite expensive. Refer to the posts on prices in this forum.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If what you're doing right now for your IBS-D isn't working, I'd definately go on lotronex again. It's the only drug made specifically for IBS-D. All the other drugs are off-label drugs. Plus you already know what to expect and know to fiddle with the dosage until you get it right. Nothing beats lotronex when it's taken correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts