Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get pain from gas that shoots from the stomach to the upper back (left side) or to the upper chest muscle just under the collar bone and into the neck and jaw? This happens maybe once a month, for four or five minutes. It's not a feeling of pressure, so I don't think it's my heart. (I'll be seeing my heart doctor next month, though, and will ask about it,) The pain is sharp and cramplike. If I drink water or pass some gas, that seems to relieve it. Sure is scary, though, and I'd like to know whether it could just be gas. Any ideas?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The stomach (vs the abdomen) is right up under the rib cage and stomach pain (or GERD pain) is often felt in the chest.Pain from gall bladder can go up into the back by the shoulder blades (more often right than left) but there are ways for pain in the upper abdomen to get into the back.However the pain should be evaluated to see what might be causing it. Costochondritis often causes pains in the chest (inflamation of the joints in the rib cage) and back pain could actually be from the back rather than coming up from the GI tract.K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trouble is, K, that I never know when I'm going to get this (maybe once a month) and by the time I could drive the 15 miles to town, the pain would be gone. Hmmm. I'll mention it to my doc anyway.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Even when you can't be at the doctor when it happens it is usually a good idea to inform them of these intermittant problems. Sometimes there are clues there that may help them get the full clinical picture.I get occasional tachycardia (rapid heart beat) that the doctor is aware of and takes into account even though they have never seen it. Like when that getting worse it was a part of the whole picture that helped them figure out that I needed to stop taking a medication.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts