Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read anything about a connection between blood sugar levels and/or sugar intolerance and small bowel bacterial overgrowth? I read one article online that referenced this and I'm trying to search for journal articles, but I'm not having much luck so far.I know many people who test positive for SIBO on the HBT also test positive for sugar intolerance (fructose, etc), but the connection is not clear to me.If anyone has some insight on this I'd appreciate it. Links to research articles would also be greatly appreciated (doesn't matter if it's a "subscription only" link since I have access to almost all journals through my job).Thanks...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have SIBO and i was asking my doctor about this & both times I went he basically dismissed/ignored it, kind of like he already knows it's nothing to do w/this. Well idk cause i never had the test done and i still wonder.But we both know that test to confirm it or not, foods that have high fructose corn syrup in it bother us. I also stay away from wheat & things high in sugar or carbs. I've pretty much given up on asking about the test. I know what i can and can't eat. I don't need a test to tell me that. And we know the results from when we do eat that. We get bloated & gassy, maybe even a sharp pain and oddly enough those foods make us sleepy (the exact opposite of what food is supposed to do-provide you energy). It's like putting poison into our bodies. I don't understand how or why that works the way it does against us but just stay away from those things and you'll be better off. I really do wish I could eat those things though. My favorite food used to be pasta

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone read anything about a connection between blood sugar levels and/or sugar intolerance and small bowel bacterial overgrowth? I read one article online that referenced this and I'm trying to search for journal articles, but I'm not having much luck so far.I know many people who test positive for SIBO on the HBT also test positive for sugar intolerance (fructose, etc), but the connection is not clear to me.If anyone has some insight on this I'd appreciate it. Links to research articles would also be greatly appreciated (doesn't matter if it's a "subscription only" link since I have access to almost all journals through my job).Thanks...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the bacteria thrive on those sugars. Look up articles on SIBO by Dr Mark Pimental.I have post-infectious IBS. I took Rifaximin with fair results I wish we could get Zelnorm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.