Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
8,797 Posts
There is a lag between taking and stopping antibiotics and seeing the resolution to your symptoms by as much as two weeks. To know for sure that the a/b have helped you need a before and after lactulose breath test.

· Banned
8,797 Posts
quote:To Bonniei, I've seen your previous posts about the lag time. I'm a bit hesitent to believe that's very common. It seems to me that if the antibiotics work, then the symptoms will disappear
Well I think I can safely say that the Cedar-Sinai researchers,Pimentel and Lin have done the most extensive prescribing of antibiotics to IBS'ers and the observation that it takes upto two weeks to clear up is based on their research. It is all in this paper.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...2917&query_hl=3It costs $25 to purchase if you want to see it for yourself or a library near you may have a copy. They did the before and after breath tests on these patientsa and found that even after normlization of the breath test after the course of aniibiotics the symptoms did not seem to resolve and they observed in these patioents that the symptoms did resolve after two weeks. They tested atleast 150 patients till Jan 2004 and even more since then before they made this statement. They weren't going on the basis of hunches.

· Banned
8,797 Posts
Yes I have the paper. It says symptoms can even worsen for a couple of days 3-4 days into the treatment. And the complete resolution of gastrointestinal symptoms may take as long as 2 wks while the extragastrointestinal symptoms like fatigue, general malais, myalgia, anxiety, depression and even impaired cognitive function might take up to 2 -3 mths to resolve. It doesn't say what percentage of patients took upto 2 wks for the symptoms to resolve. So yes that is good news for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.