Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search on the forum and didn't see anything about this. I've also searched through a couple of different online journals (Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, and Amer Journal of Gastroenterology) and I didn't see anything obvious:Is there any proven connection between GERD/NERD and SIBO? Like if someone had GERD would it predispose to SIBO?I know both are GI disorders (duh), and both probably involve some motility issue...I've had chronic mucus in the back of my throat for as long as I can remember (at least 10 years anyway), but I rarely get actual heartburn so I'm wondering if it's possible I have asymptomatic GERD that could be somehow causing the recurrence of SIBO.I also have a recurring "fluttering" in my throat just above the clavicle region and below my thyroid that I suspect might have something to do with the vagus nerve, which is related to GERD.Anybody know anything about this? Maybe I should cross-post in the GERD forum?My next dr appt. isn't until July, so I'm kind of up a creek here for a little bit.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
This site may give you some linkages to pursue: http://www.gerdcured.com/In my case, I am pretty sure that both the IBS and GERD were results of low level inflammation from 30 years of smoking. But there was real chronic heartburn as well as reflux involved. (Which all goes to prove that stupidity can cause diarrhea...) If you find anything that links what you are going through with inflammation, then the flavonoids I take might well be useful for you. I hope the info on that site is useful for you.Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts