Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Has anyone taken a send-away at-home SIBO glucose breath test, and how did it go for you?

I've had one ready for a few weeks, and will finally get around to doing it this weekend. I've heard Lactulose versions are more indicative/thorough, but this formulation was easiest for me to obtain on my own instead of having to rope in my doctors.

It says not to eat whole grains, high-fiber foods, fruit and nuts the day before, which would be tomorrow.

Looks like it only takes an hour, first thing in the morning.

Any stories are appreciated!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To follow up, I did end up taking the SIBO breath test on Saturday morning. I didn't enjoy having that much sugar water first thing, and I'm not a big drinker of fluids in general, so it wasn't comfortable. I did doze between the 20 minute intervals even though it said not to, but it was early! The rest of the weekend I was gassier than usual, but my bowel habits didn't really change. I should be hearing the results today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I took the lactulose hydrogen methane test at home. It said I was positive. Ho hum.

I had already tried rifaximin and the elemental diet with no benefit. So, it was not "actionable" information for me.

On a tenuously related note, I live in the US and I often go to the gym after work. The gym has TVs everywhere. I few times now I have seen TV ads for Xifaxan for IBS. I guess SIBO has really hit the bigtime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts