Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new and want so much needed advice.I have had my symptoms now for going on 6 years. I have been to many doctors and finally I am seeing and Immunologist who believes I have SIBO. I am waiting on the results and am having the breath test next week, but he is pretty convinced.My history; I experienced severe pain and diarrhoea and then sometime constipation. I also had a temperature for 3 or so months. These symptoms were after having salmonella. Since then I have had constant bloating and diarrhoea with different foods I eat, but even when I have not eaten.I now avoid wheat and dairy products as they give me diarrhoea. I also have to avoid rice and potatoes and these leave me constipated. Any high fatty food also gives me diarrhoea.Lately I am also experiencing fatigue and an achey body. I feel like I have the flue, but no cold. I have read on here that sometime if you have this condition and a lot of diarrhoea, it can lead to your body not absorbing vitamins, therefore leaving you feeling this way. Also I am interested to know what other SIBO suffers have tried as I have read a lot on the subject and it seems that it is not something that will permanently go away.I look forward to hearing from anyone with advice or answers to my queries. Thanks!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You may also want to be evaluated for fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue with the fatigue and body aches (as well as make sure you have been checked for anemia and low thyroid as well).Typically if you are maintaining weight with the usual amount of calories you are getting enough nutrients in (assuming your diet is actually well balanced and a lot of people's aren't)There can be some nutrient issues with severe SIBO, but most of the IBS-SIBO isn't causing a lot of those issues, it is seen more in "traditional" SIBO where surgery or other serious diseases are messing with the small intestine rather than it being a functional issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new and want so much needed advice.I have had my symptoms now for going on 6 years. I have been to many doctors and finally I am seeing and Immunologist who believes I have SIBO. I am waiting on the results and am having the breath test next week, but he is pretty convinced.My history; I experienced severe pain and diarrhoea and then sometime constipation. I also had a temperature for 3 or so months. These symptoms were after having salmonella. Since then I have had constant bloating and diarrhoea with different foods I eat, but even when I have not eaten.I now avoid wheat and dairy products as they give me diarrhoea. I also have to avoid rice and potatoes and these leave me constipated. Any high fatty food also gives me diarrhoea.Lately I am also experiencing fatigue and an achey body. I feel like I have the flue, but no cold. I have read on here that sometime if you have this condition and a lot of diarrhoea, it can lead to your body not absorbing vitamins, therefore leaving you feeling this way. Also I am interested to know what other SIBO suffers have tried as I have read a lot on the subject and it seems that it is not something that will permanently go away.I look forward to hearing from anyone with advice or answers to my queries. Thanks!!
I am so sorry to hear your story. It sounds like you have been going through alot of pains! I can sympathize. I have been dealing with SIBO symptoms now for 7 years. I recommend keeping a food journal if you haven't started this yet. In addition to my food restrictions, I also have severe sleep problems. You can review more of my health history on my profile. Every person's food sensitivities is different. But here is the diet that works for me. I have successfully eliminated almost all carbs and this diet seems to be working well for me now after years of experimenting. I am highly sensitive to carbs also. The only carbs I eat are butternut and acorn squash--no rice or grains. I do not eat dairy. (I have SIBO, FYI). All fruits bother me. The only fruit that is ok for me to eat occasionally is boiled raisins. Other than this, I follow most of Dr. Pimentel's recommendations for vegetables since I can't even tolerate most vegetables. I look for low-residue vegetables like boiled collard greens and mustard greens.For meats, I never eat pork or beef. And I only eat certain fish: tuna, tilapia, cod, and rarely a couple others. I eat chicken from Whole Foods cause normal chicken has a preservative in it I cannot tolerate. And I don't eat gluten either. If you are like me in that you get constipated frequently, I recommend taking 1 stool softener after every meal. I called and it is safe to take 3-4/daily long-term. Also, I eat alot of roasted almonds between meals or to hold me over. It is important that you eat them roasted though because raw is too difficult for the system to digest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts