Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else with SIBO experiences mood swings and/or brain fog and how they manifest?

Here's what I experience:

• When constipated, I become irritable and sometimes extremely angry. I also often am not hungry for meals, feel fatigued and sleep a lot.
  • When not constipated (taking laxatives) my mood soars, almost to the point of being "too good" and I experience normal hunger.
  • Sometimes, a day or so after taking laxatives I experience brain fog, numbness, anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure) and lack of hunger.

I've recently been using senna as my laxative of choice and have been particularly struggling with brain fog/anhedonia. At first I though it was a low-motility issue, but I'm now starting to wonder if it may be related to the senna. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It's starting to get a little scary...

I was taking magnesium as a laxative for a while, but stopped because I felt like it was making me very anxious. I felt great during the day, had insane amounts of energy and good moods but would wake up very early in the morning and was starting to have anxiety and difficulty concentrating. I still can't tell whether these symptoms came from the magnesium or from simply using a laxative that was effective. I've had similar burst of energy and mood from using cherry juice as a laxative and also from having diarrhea caused by emotional stress (interestingly, during the time when I had diarrhea, I would also occasionally dip into periods of anhedonia, which seemed to be brought on by meals).

I have an appointment with a GI doctor but have to wait until December 19th to see the one my dietician recommended. I think it's important to wait to see this person because my dietician trusts that this doctor will perform the SIBO test correctly and be able to deal with my issues. However, I'm having difficulty keeping myself comfortable until then and my mood issues are interfering with my work and social life. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to find a balance?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes, I've experienced this. I've had less of an issue since starting on Trulance since I'm not constipated as often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing I can't figure out is if I should be taking laxatives or not. When they work, they seem to clear my head, but some of them also seem to cause a sort of kickback effect a day or so later...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts