Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was to have a SIBO test at Brigham Women's (they have the equipment now), but had to cancel due to other medical things. Has anyone had this, and if so, what were the symptoms that brought you to this test? thanks, Libbys

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes I had it. I been having mild C (pellet stool, clumped stools), incomplete evacuation, and excessive gas. Probiotics got my gas problem from somewhere in this range of 100-200 times to 10-30 times a day.The test is to drink 10 grams of lactulose (a synthetic sugar) over an overnight fast. You blow into a bag that feeds into the machine and it records the hydrogen and methane gases from your breath. The idea is to see if excessive bacteria is in the small intestine. If there are gases over 10 ppm within the first 90min, then you likely have SIBO. You should have it for 3 hrs if possible.Check out Pimentel's 2000 study on it. (has a nice graph to illustrate) http://www-east.elsevier.com/ajg/issues/9512/ajg3368fla.htm The SIBO test is in itself limited and flawed. For one, the machines that analyze the gas don't test other gases that bacteria may produce.I took the test and I passed except I peaked at the 90 min mark. My symptoms during the test were just rumbling and some gas near the end of the 90 min test.skinny

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:My symptoms during the test were just rumbling and some gas near the end of the 90 min test.
So this says you never had a problem with bacterially-produced gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.