Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
STOOL is the problem if you have SIBO(small intestine bacterial overgrowth) and your original symptom was constipation. Keep Reading.I get the sharp pain in the upper left abdomen & rectum, leaky gas, & nausea. Carbs bother me (cereal, breads, noodles, waffles, muffins) and some fruits like blueberries or apples make gas worse or give me a sharp pain. But of course when u have SIBO just about EVERYTHING is a problem food, making gas, Including whether you eat or not. I've been on two rounds of an antibiotic (Flagyl), 1st time it worked & was symptoms free for 10 great days, then it all came back, 2nd time did absolutely Nothing. Done with that. I had a rectal exam, everything was normal. I Take a probiotic now called Culturelle which does Nothing for me, have been on it for about 3 weeks. I also take Miralax to keep things moving ( my problem was constipation). Let u know if anything starts helping.Okay so I had my appointment yesterday and my doctor explained to me the base of my SIBO. The culprit causing all my symptoms is the bacteria having a feeding frenzy due to stool. I've had 2 xrays done and both showed that i was WAYYY backed up. So he explained that i got this solid stuff up in my intestines where most ppl barely have any. And food stays in your system for 72 hours (3 days) so really its what u ate 3 days ago that's affecting u today. But seeing as how I have these symptoms everyday and the diet changes, 2nd round of antibiotics, and probiotics didnt make a difference, it is definately the backed up stool causing the problems. The bacteria are growing in # until I can get that waste out. SO when i have some days of of school i'll be going on a heavy dose of Miralax and get a colon cleanse to help.[And for HOW I got stool backed way up there(intestines)] Ever hold alot of gas in or hold going #2 for a long time? My answer was YES. A few years b4 I got SIBO my gassyness increased quite a bit. I dont know why, but i had always been a gassy child so it wasnt that much difference at first. And back then i could control it and gas was my ONLY symptom. Well it's gross and rude to pass gas in front of others so I would hold in my gas ALL day until i got home from school. Same thing with stool when i was busy doing homework and had to go potty, i would hold it until i was done. Okay so your intestines do a series of contractions to get the foods down. I would get the feeling like I needed to pass quite a bit of gas and hold it in, and...where does it go? It cant just sit there. So there's nowhere to go but back up when there's that much and somehow in worked it's way back up and after doing this every school day for 3 years I accumulated quite a bit. And here I am now. All backed up. With the bacteria feeding on whats left up there (small intestine). My advice now that I know I did this to myself unknowingly......Go to the Bathroom and let it out, DONT wait till you get home.Also explained 2 possibilites for the pain. 1)bloating & distension. 2)Your intestines have curves and stuff going through may have been stretching it when making it around the curve. As for the leaky gas and the sharp pain in the rectum, both have to do with the stool.Time Frame: I asked Gastro doc once i started taking more Miralax about how long did he think this would take to get it all cleared out. He said from 6-12 months of heavy miralax. To me this is great news! 6-12 months is nothing when you have been dealing with this and waiting for an answer, and every day seems like forever in an illness. So with the stool explained as the problem I was told there really was no need to do the Specific carbohydrate diet that i'd been on for 4 days. He said it wouldn't help or hurt me, just probably make me stinkier because of the increased meat protein, so i dropped it and went home and ate a delicious slice of bread. Will be upping my dose of miralax next month.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Who is your Dr? So did you see the fecal matter in the x-ray? Would a colonic work?
I go to U of M hospital. And yes you could see it in the x-ray. He said it would take 6-12 months on a heavy dose of Miralax for everything to work it's way down & out, but the nurse practicioner said we could do a colon cleanse to maybe help next month.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.