Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently taking Trimethoprim for a possible urinary/prostate/kidney problem and I'm told these are anti bacterial drugs?When I take 2x200mg I find it can constipate or at least slow my bowel down a lot.I have IBS on the D side.I googled SIBO and wondered if there maybe a connection to these anti bacterials helping my IBS symptoms,meaning a possible SIBO diagnosis?Any thoughts?If my urinary problem is diagnosed as a prostate or kidney problem it appears Ciproflaxcin is a popular treatment.This can also be used to treat SIBO according to an article I read.Am I clutching at straws here or is there some validity in my thoughts?Many thanks for the excellent advice I'm given on here and please feel free to post your thoughts or experiences.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Trimethoprim is an antibacterial drug. There is a lot of research concerning the possibility of SIBO and IBS, so there is validity to your thoughts. Ciprofloxacin is a common antibiotic used for this. Rifaximin or Xifaxin is often used as well, but is somewhat limited by its cost. Some people find that antibiotics help their symptoms while others feel that it exacerbates them. This somewhat depends on the type of IBS you have (for example, I believe I read an article stating that vancomycin was associated with decreased symptoms in IBS-C patients).I'm IBS-D and usually feel good while I'm on antibiotics - The ones I've been on in recent memory are azithromycin and amoxicillin (which I am actually currently on). I seem to remember taking doxycycline a number of years ago and having esophagitis secondary to it. The one thing that might be influencing this is that I tend to load up on yogurt while I'm on antibiotics - I normally have yogurt a few times a week and bump it up to daily while on antibiotics in the hopes of warding off yeast infections. So this may factor into how I feel while on the pills.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I think this thread would be best located in our Antibiotics/SIBO Forum so I am going to move it there.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BQ I didn't know there was an antibiotic forum.There are a lot of forums and I haven't seen half of them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think on certain computers or perhaps browsers you cannot always see the lower forums. I know at times I can see the top 10 or so (IBS general, IBS-C, IBS-D through Support Groups), but other times I can't. I don't think it's been an issue for me lately, but that might be what's happening to you,.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blonde,I often use an iPod touch to view so my screen size is very small.Some sites offer iPhone specific viewing options but I don't know if it's viable with the site.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks BQ!Now it's a favourite

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
jmc Just FYIDown at the bottom of every page you will see in the middle of the blue menu bar "Lo Fi Version". Click that for when you are using your Ipod touch or other hand held browsers.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you again BQ.I do have trouble downloading the pages on hand held devices due to the large amount of information on the site,that will certainly help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.