Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read Torrie's post about her daughter and I am feeling just as desperate and frustrated and emotional. My daughter is 15, has only made it to 3 full days of school out of 9 so far this year, (missed about 30 last year), has had much testing including colonoscopy and endoscopy this summer, just changed meds to Bentyl and Amitriptyline, takes probiotics 2x/day, are keeping a journal and trying to watch foods (hard w/ a big family). Gets terrible abdominal pain (we rate on scale of 1-10 (1 best) and today is a 9. Usually gets bad diarrhea w/ the pain. Woke up at 4AM w/ pain. I feel like we are all over the place w/ doctors, are trying biofeedback, have looked into altern. med. Feel like no one Dr. is really taking this on. Has been very emotional for me as her mom and I am so worried about school and how to keep up -- do I homeschool, etc. Help from anyone especially moms or teen daughters? Thanx so much.

·
Registered
514 Posts
WEll I"m not a mom but I do relate with your daughter. I'm 23 and my IBS started when I was 15. My IBS was so bad that I couldn't attend school anymore and decided to finish my school at home. IF you decided to homeschool there are many options. For my grade 11 and part of 12 I did Cyber School. IT was school over the internet and I really liked it. YOu still had teachers that were easily accessible and it was much easier to do the work then regular correspondance. When I only had a couple courses left I stopped Cyber school(it costed more if you weren't taking a full course load) and started regular "mail in the lessons" correspondance. IT was harder this way but my friends and family helped me out. Finally this summer I finished my last high school course, woohoo!I also know about not being able to find a doctor to help. After seeing a zillion medical doctors and all they were doing was giving me more meds that didn't work I gave up. I decided to go the alternative route. I finally found someone that helped. I see a naturopath/chiropractor. HE is the only one that understood my problems and actually helped. MY ibs is much better, not fully gone but i'm able ot have good days and my IBS-D attacks are less frequent.Also a couple of weeks ago I started taking an anti-anxiety med. I put it off for years but I finally broke down and realized that it might help so i tried it. My nervous "worrying about my stomach" is 90% better and my IBS has improved even further.So i'm not sure how to help but I think if the doctors aren't helping try something else. BUt just let your daughter know she isn't alone.

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
FYIAbout Kids GI HealthA site from IFFGDQuestions and AnswersHow do I know if my child really has an upset stomach, or is trying to get out of going to school? How do I keep my child hydrated during vomiting? How do I know when they are seriously dehydrated? Why do irritable bowel symptoms seem to be worse in the morning and at bedtime in children?Shall I send my child to school when he or she is in pain from IBS? Functional abdominal pain: How can it be treated?http://www.aboutkidsgi.org/questionsandanswers.htmlAnswers to Common Questions about Bellyaches in Children http://www.aboutkidsgi.org/Bellyaches.html

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
Treatment options for chronic abdominal pain in children and adolescents.Miranda A, Sood M. Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA. amiranda###mail.mcw.edu.Chronic abdominal pain is a common feature of most functional gastrointestinal disorders in children, including functional abdominal pain (FAP) and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). FAP can impair a child's life and often leads to significant school absences. Although the underlying mechanism is likely multifactorial, early pain experiences during a vulnerable period in the developing nervous system can cause long-term changes in the brain-gut axis and ultimately may result in altered pain pathways and visceral hyperalgesia. Care providers often feel uncomfortable managing patients with chronic abdominal pain, as the pathophysiology is poorly understood, and limited data exist regarding safety and efficacy of therapeutic options in children. The primary goal of therapy in FAP is to alleviate pain symptoms and to help the child return to normal daily activities. Treatment should be individualized and chosen based on the severity of symptoms, the existence of comorbid psychological disorders, and the impact the disorder has on the child's school attendance and normal functioning. Various psychological interventions, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, hypnosis, and guided imagery, have been successfully used in children with chronic abdominal pain. Pharmacologic therapies such as H(2) blockers, proton-pump inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, and various serotonergic drugs have been used, but good controlled trials are lacking. More studies are clearly needed to investigate the benefits and safety of pharmacologic therapy in children. Newer pharmacologic agents that target specific receptors involved in nociception, stress, and neurogenic inflammation currently are being developed. Future targets for visceral hyperalgesia should not only be aimed at alleviating symptoms but also should include prevention, particularly in cases with a suspected sensitizing event such as neonatal pain and postinfectious IBS.PMID: 16942666

·
Registered
160 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Dianna307:I just read Torrie's post about her daughter and I am feeling just as desperate and frustrated and emotional. My daughter is 15, has only made it to 3 full days of school out of 9 so far this year, (missed about 30 last year), has had much testing including colonoscopy and endoscopy this summer, just changed meds to Bentyl and Amitriptyline, takes probiotics 2x/day, are keeping a journal and trying to watch foods (hard w/ a big family). Gets terrible abdominal pain (we rate on scale of 1-10 (1 best) and today is a 9. Usually gets bad diarrhea w/ the pain. Woke up at 4AM w/ pain. I feel like we are all over the place w/ doctors, are trying biofeedback, have looked into altern. med. Feel like no one Dr. is really taking this on. Has been very emotional for me as her mom and I am so worried about school and how to keep up -- do I homeschool, etc. Help from anyone especially moms or teen daughters? Thanx so much.
I am a mother of 5, some have IBS some do not. I have severe IBS and cannot work. I cannot leave the house most days so my 9 year old, the last one home, has to be home schooled. I cannot leave my bed on some days and others I cannot get out of the restroom. Before my hysterectomy, I was in so much pain from mensing that I would cry from the pain. I did not know it but I had endometriosis and it was growing up into my bowel. I have my daughter in Connections Academy. It is online through the Board of Education. I coach her with her work and she has a teacher who emails and calls her as well. It is totally free, including materials. She emails and chats with her friends from the school so she is not lonely. The best thing is that they teach at the pace of the child and they can take electives that regular schools do not offer. IBS is so terrible and she should not have to worry about school too.

·
Registered
23,788 Posts

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Hi and welcome to the BB!
As a mom of two kids, and having had IBS myself since 1983, I know first hand your frustration. Sometimes it is very hard to watch your child in severe pain and miss so many days of school.When all else fails, meds, etc. do consider clinical hypnotherapy. Both Eric and myself and many teens and adults have used this method successfullly - and as a last resort, wishing we would have done it first. The developer of this program works with IBS patients as young as 6. He has had many young teens as patients with the very problems you describe - one girl missed out on 2 full years of school due to IBS pain and anxiety, and after treatment returned to school with no problems. He has replicated the sessions he uses in the clinical setting onto CDs for in-home use and this has really helped a lot of kids turn their lives around and be able to get back on track at school.If you would like info on this please do check the links below, and you can call 877-898-2539 and someone will get back to you. This method has been clinically trialed and used very successfully with teens and younger, in addition to adults. I too raised my kids through the bathroom door - missed out on a lot. Another advantage to this method is that you do not have to worry about traveling to the appointments, and your child can listen to the program while on any meds as needed, etc. I have talked to many moms over the last few years - and so many have been grateful for this as it really has helped most of the kids who have done this.More info also can be found about the IBS Audio Program 100 on www.ibdscs.com. The program was presented to gastroenterologists at various IBS workshops and also at the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders Symposium and was very well received there.Hope this helped, and feel free to ask me any questions. Take care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.