Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a bit sick and tired of having narrow, loose snake like BM's everyday, with embarrasing loud gas everytime I go to the bathroom.Can anyone suggest something that will bulk up stools? I take soluable fiber but it doesn't seem to make any difference

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Adding fiber is usually the recommendation for that, but I have some things you could try avoiding as they may loosen stools in some people, some cause gas as well.Caffiene. Sorbitol (in sugarless gum and candies and naturally in apples, pears, peaches, prunes, plums and apricots. these fruits cooked should be ok).Mannitol (diet gums and candies, often used with sorbitol)Fructose (candies, soft drinks with High Fructose Corn Syrup, honey onions, artichokes, pears, wheat)Lactose (milk, note: fementation removes the lactose from most cheeses and yogurts; may also be found in processed foods such as breads, cereals, salad dressings)K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Try upping your fiber and drinking extra water (important to make the fiber work). If you can't up fiber-rich foods you could take an OTC one. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You might try insoluble fiber (found in wheat bran and corn). It should not produce as much gas as soluble fiber and it may help the other problems as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts