Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been officially diagnosed, although with all of my stomach problems, my previous doctor thought that what I had was probably IBS. Anyway... two weeks ago, I had my last two wisdom teeth out and a two days after that, I got really sick. I vomited twice, but for almost two weeks now, I've had the stomach pain and need to run to the bathroom five or more times a day.
For the first couple of days it came out fast, but now it's just cramping, mostly. I will try not to get too graphic. From all the reading I've done, I think that it may have been the antibiotics the dentist gave me that set it off. And probably all the stress of the dentist visit didn't help. I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried some herbal supplements to help calm things down, or relieve the pain? The reason I ask is, I got something, not sure if it's working yet. But I was supposed to see my doctor this week, my appt was changed four times, and now it's not until next Thursday.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
It is a good idea to see your doctor. You need all the tests done to rule out anything more serious. It is possible though that if you have IBS that the stress of the doctors visit or the antibiotics have triggered you off. Or a combination of both. Antibiotics are notorious for causing major diarreah problems (and don't worry about graphics on here, we're all really graphic
). Try buying a good quality refridgerated acidopholous pill supplement from the chemist or health food store. It will restore the good bacteria in your bowels that the antibiotics is killing. Other than that I wouldn't recommend anything until you've seen your doctor.Welcome to the boards and good luck. Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I am trying this bland diet I found on an IBS website for a few days, to see if that helps. Heck, I've give up ice cream and cheese already. I don't think eating nothing but white bread and noodles for a few days is going to hurt me.
There does seem to be a lot of good information on the site, I found it from this board. But I'll wait on the rest. p.s. Your cat is scary looking!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
He he. I know. He looks like I feel when I'm having a bad IBS day. Good luck with Heather's diet. I didn't have any luck with it but I'm a weird IBS'er and it's helped heaps of people. Just go easy on the soy stuff if you go that route. It can cause as many probs as dairy. Safest thing, although gross is rice milk (blech).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't know that about soy. I'm a 6 day a week vegetarian, so I eat a LOT of soy. (I'll occasionally have some fish or chicken.)Including drinking soy milk for years, because I just can't stand the taste of the so called 'regular' stuff. I have never tried the rice milk, I've always been a bit afraid...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
You'd probably know about it if you had a problem with soy milk. 1/2 a cup has me sitting on the loo for hours and hours. I'd stick with it then, rice milk is pretty gross. Sorry I thought you were only just starting out. Good luck. I hope it helps you some

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
He he. Sorry bout that. I took a touch typing course after high school and I guess at least I learnt something from the course other than I NEVER wanted to be a receptionist!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Screamer, in reply to the question about tofu recipes. I don't really have any with just 'tofu'. I do make some pretty mean stir fries, but I use soy meat, that I buy at the store. My favourite is frozen veggies, meatless beef tips and pasta.
Oh, and teriyaki sauce.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.