Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor wants me to take reglan for my emptying problem but I've heard it has bad side effects can anyone share their experiencesu

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been on reglan for months, but I recently stopped taking it because I started taking paxil instead and it got pretty annoying having to take it 30 minutes before I ate. Sometimes it's hard to plan when I'm going to eat, especially when going out. And I found it important to take it as close to 30 minutes before I ate as possible. If I took it and then ate an hour or more afterwards, it wouldn't work at all and I would get really bad pains and nausea.At first it worked really well because I was making sure I was taking it all the time and at the right times, but then I started getting sick of scheduling every time I ate, so that's really why I just stopped taking it. There were no bad side effects at all. The only thing that gave me problems was drinking alcohol. I couldn't drink at all on it. (Well I still can't drink much alcohol because my stomach doesn't tolerate it well anyways, but that's a different story.) If you plan to drink, make sure it's awhile after you last took the reglan. I took a sip of a hard cider about 2 hours after I had taken the pill and eaten, and I was laid out on the bed for a couple hours. I was a little TOO relaxed. I'm a very small girl though, so the effects were probably a lot more intense than others may experience. All in all, the pill works pretty good if you stick with it and take it as directed all the time. The alcohol thing just depends on how well you can handle it. Everyone is different so it could have effected me badly, but it may not effect you the same way. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Davis:About three months ago my Mother was put onReglan. It had horrible effects and we hadto rush her to the hospital. She became almost catatonic. She couldn't move her head and it wasso sad. She just had to wait for the side effects to go away. Ask your pharamacist. This was nasty stuff....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi. Don't know if you have tried it yet but I had tingling,tightness in my throat, became dizzy and passed out from it at work. Won't do that again. I loved Propulsid but they pulled it from the market. Hope you fair better. Gayle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reglan can cause permanent tardive dyskinesia and/or dystonia. It triggered my severe tardive dystonia. This permanent disability/side effect of Reglan often starts with a dystonic reaction...severe muscle spasms of the face neck and sometimes the whole body. It can be extremely painful and in some cases irreversible. If you are interested in my story of dealing with Relan induced tardive dyskinesia read my story here: http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/6691 There are several safer options. The best antiemetic on the market that doesn't cause this is Zofran. Doctors are sometimes reluctant to prescribe it because of expense, but it is way safer than Reglan.Take care,Jen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts