Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS - C most of my life. I will go up to 5 weeks without any movement at all. Since I started coming here I am trying magnesium. I started slowly and I am now using 1000 mg's a day. It's helping me go. I'm going about every 4 days, which is wonderful for me, but I'm getting really bad bloating and I am really uncomfortable most days. Is this normal? Should I cut back on my dosage? I'm afraid if I do that I'll stop going again.Thanks,Sue

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had really bad gas and bloating for the first week or so on Magnesium Citrate. But that is gone now, and I began to go regularly on 600/day. After my bowels got in the habit, I reduced to 400 and am still fine. (I also take some fiber suppliment and eat a healthy diet with lots of veggies and fruits and exercise every day.) Praise God its working!!! I pray it will continue, and I will say prayer for you.God Bless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been on it for a few weeks now and the gas and bloating is horrible. I'm taking Mag oxide, so I don't know if the side effects are worse than the citrate. Hopefully the bloating will subside. Thanks!Teach - my understanding is magnesium doesn't have any long lasting effects on the colon. You can use it without hurting anything.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well like many vitamins and minerals there can be problems with way too much as well as too little.Usually magnesium in people with good kidney function is not a problem but they do recommend limiting routine daily intake to 1000 mgs a day.It can mess with heart rhythm if you take in way more than you can deal with for too long.Now as you alter the stool consistancy (which is what magnesium does) it may cause something that is different than when your stool is all hard and dry and hard to pass. I'm not sure if it would increase gas production (the bacteria can't make gas out of it) but gas may move different when the stool is softer, maybe.Magnesium is an osmotic laxative, but those DO NOT cause the same sorts of long term colon problems that stimulatory laxatives cause, so should be safe for long term use as long as you don't overdose it routinely.K.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Depends on the person but I'd say no. Here's some generic info I found - a diet should contain around 400mg of magnesium each day (primary sources are green leafy foods). 1 cup of spinach contains around 160mg of magnesium.I'm taking 400mg of magnesium each day and sad to say, I wasn't consuming 400mg through food sources. No multiple movements per day and I'm happy if I have one each day or so. I wouldn't say it stimulates the bowels rather than it helps retain moisture so things move more easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gerwyscag, My doctor has only sent me for a barium enema to see if there were any problems. That came back fine, so he says that it's just my normal cycle (I don't know how going every 5 weeks is normal though). So I'm trying to find solutions on my own. The magnesium is helping me go, but the gas is killing me. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I remember that magnesium didn't do anything but caused stupid sounds in my gut, so bad and loud that I haf to skip school. I thought that it was just a one time thing so I took it again in a few days. I threw up (and I can't stand when it happens)It was cherry flavored. Since then cherries aren't my favorite fruits and anything cherry flavored (which tasted like magnesia) makes me sick..So where do you buy pills of magnesia? I haven't seen it in CVS

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sickofit, Sounds like you used Milk of Magnesia, the flavored stuff; this is different from taking Magnesium supplements, which is what the others are talking about.Milk of Magnesia gives me gas, too, very painful. Magnesium supplements, on the other hand, give me no gas and they're the only way, i think, that I get any bowel movements.

·
Registered
51 Posts
AnitaSue, Just a quick question, how much magnesium do you take in your supplement? I have never tried. I have taken the Mike of Magnesia when I am in trouble, but yes that gives me a lot of gas and fullness. Are there any worries about magnesium that one should know about? And, should you also take a calcium supplement with it? I heard someone else say that you should take both, but I am not sure and I don't know why.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Chmiel,The mag. supplement I take is called "Mega Magnesium" and I buy it at the grocery store here; 3 capsules = 400mg. I've been taking 4/day and it's been working for the most part. Lately, though, I've been under a lot of extra stress and my body isn't working well, so I might up my dose to 5/day to see if it helps.This specific supplement has magnesium from amino acid chelate, malate, citrate.I don't take calcium because my doc has been trying to regulate my BM's and calcium causes constipation. He said he'll have me add calcium "at a later date". I see him again next week, after not seeing him for 6 months.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just an update. I've been on magnesium for 2 months and it's still working fairly well. I also don't get my right side pain as much so I'm not taking donnatol for days in a row sometimes.I went to the ER today for something totally unrelated that may mess up my system though - pain med (tramadol) and muscle relax/spasm (flexeril).

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Can anyone relate taking calcium for your bones and ending up with constipation. I know the magnesium is put in the calcium to help with the possible side effect of taking calcium being constipation.Linda

·
Registered
254 Posts
The spouse takes one of those huge calcium pills everyday and is never constipated. She doesn't have IBS but the calcium doesn't seem to bother her.I think calcium pills are the largest pills before they'd have to resort to supositories.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.