Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 25, and I've had IBS-D since I was a baby. But it seems like a lot of people on this board had IBS come upon them later in life. I can remember being small enough that I used to sit on the toilet crying and saying to my mom "Mamma, hold my belly." Has anyone else had this since birth? Have you heard of anyone finding a 'cure' if they've had it this long?Thanks! This place is great...at least I know I'm not the only one going through this!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Since this seems to happen only after meals I would suggest you look into something called "gastrocolic reflex." This is a normal response in which the colon contracts after a meal, when the food passes from the stomach into the upper part of the small intestine. In some people, the whole colon is involved in this reflex, triggering cramping and/or diarrhea. In others, only the lower portion of the colon is affected, and a solid bowel movement occurs. There is no specific therapy for gastrocolic reflex . However, some people notice fewer and less severe symptoms if they eat smaller, more frequent meals.

·
Registered
136 Posts
MathCzyk, you are the first that i know of that has had IBS at a very early age. Usually people are diagnosed because of the change in bowl habits and stools. I can only imagine what it would be like to have it at such an early age. Can you only eat certain foods?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, there is no safe food. I could, for example, eat an apple for five days in a row, and be fine. Then on the sixth day, the apple can trigger it. My biggest pet peeve is when I tell my boss I have to go home, and he says "What did you eat?" ARGH!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yep, I'm a since birther
Hi! I don't technically know that I was born with IBS but I can remember being 3 or 4 and clutching my belly and crying from pain. I also suffered constipation a lot back then with explosive D about once a month. Poor Mum dragged me to so many doctors who had no idea what was wrong with me (I'm 27 and not a whole lot was known about IBS back then). I've really only gotten my complete diagonsis about 8 months ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I have cp & possible ms. My Mom told me as a newborn I had constipation problems. They gave me mineral oil as a baby and from about 2 months I had colitis. My doctor refers to it as IBS.I didn't know that bowel movements were meant to be solid until the age of 19. I am almost 42 now. After my daughter was born she was in the NICU for evaluation of sleep apnea and other problems. On the fifth day or so when I went to change her her bowel movement was rather solid. I called the nurse over because I thought something was wrong. The nurse came over and told me it was "normal". I laughed at my stupidity and went to the library to educate myself about digestive and bowel health.You are not alone, trust me I feel your pain!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I can remember back as early as 5 as having weekly 2 hour diarreah cramps & attacks. I am 36 now and believe I've had IBS since then. I just recently found relief and hope in this really stressful situation. I have been taking a nutritional supplement daily since August and have not had one IBS attack since and have even been able to go back to caffiene and dairy products attack free for the 1st time in over 10 years!!!! My life has been totally changed just by adding this nutrition to my body on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think I'm a since Birther too. Mine worsened in my late teens and exploded in my early twenties. After trying every supplement and many, many different meds, I think I'm getting my life back finally with just a little fibercon, a little imodium(less and less every week), and Mike's Hypno CD's. I was taking Xanax for the anxiety but have stopped taking it, as I no longer need it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Oh, and 1 or 2 Dannon yogurt's a day. Breyer's just came out with a new and improved yogurt with claims of at least 10 live active cultures but my doc said something about Dannon did not pasteurize(spelling) their's, so more probiotics are still there when you eat it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've never really thought about this but I remember my mom telling me stories about me having horrible D when I was a baby and toddler. She said for weeks at a time I had to eat the BRAT diet. I didn't get my IBS diagnosis until a year ago when I was 21!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Can't pinpoint exactly, but I've had health problems my whole life. I had the D a lot as a kid, but never really told anyone. It started to kick up more in my mid teens and by 18 I was in full swing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have to tell about my success story - after more than 25 years of IBS - and not really knowing that there was anything wrong. I lived with bloating, constipation, then diarrhea alternating every week. I am 40 years old now, and it was getting worse over the past few years. I eat a very good diet, exercise 5 days a week, lots of fiber and lots of water. Have always been active. Finally, I got so tired of it I started trying everything over the counter, I tried fiber mixes, prune juice, Activia yogurt. I even mixed prune juice with Metamucil (sp?) and noting ever changed except perhaps more gas.Just this year, I tried Reliv products. I had never heard of them but found them through a woman who took them to help her recover from cancer. I take the Reliv classic, and Fibrestore and I can't beleive it. I'm am completely regular for the first time in my life. Predictable every morning, and no more bloating. No, I am not a Relive distributor - it has worked for me. I don't know if their products are all they say they are in the research I've done. All I know is, it is the first thing in 25 years that has worked.I'm considering becoming a distributor just so I can get a discount on their products because I plan on using them the rest of my life.Hope this info helps - wish I had found info on Relive a long time ago.Sheri

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.