Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often wondered about the mucus connection.I always seem to get worse attacks after alot of drainage as my sinuses tend to drain back instead of forward.Could this iritate the the linings of the colon?Just curious.I would welcome any other observations and theories.I have been on board for about a week now and I am having the courage to put in my own posting.Love Pattee Thanks for the input .It is always a relief to find other people as fascinated with body functions as I am. [This message has been edited by Pattee (edited 02-10-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pattee: Welcome to the board...Mucous is formed from whole wheat, bran (if you are allergic to them) dairy products, sometimes sweets and pork products. So if you eat those often they could be producing the mucous. If you are feeling bad it is in my opinion from the food not the m. going into your stomach. So keep a log of the food you eat to discover your trigger foods. One for me is the fake creamers like cremora etc. so I avoid them. Feel better, belle
:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pattee, I have often suspected that sinus drainage might irritate the intestines. A friend of mine told me one time that every time her husband or teenage son had sinus trouble, they would also end up with the runs. I have heard that the drainage is acidic, so maybe that's what is causing the problem. Just a theory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same problem with post-nasal sinus drainage. It does seem to flair up with the IBS or vice-versa. I did read on a website from an MD in Missouri that he recommends taking a Rx antihistamine such as Allegra and also Zantac because it acts on histamine receptors in the GI tract. I think the Zantac sounds very interesting and can see how that would work to control symptoms. I will let you know how it works. I am a Certified Medical Assistant and can usually talk one of the docs in my office into letting me give things a shot. I'll let you know. Shar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts