Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past several years, my D has gone from just loose/watery to bile acid D. It's always a component of it, even if it's not full on bile acid. Needless to say, it seems like my rear is stinging/raw (sorry for the TMI) all the time. Because I have a desk job, sitting all day only exacerbates the situation. I used to use Carmex all the time on it, and it did wonders...until I found out that long term usage can thin the skin, which may be a reason I get sore so easily now. I only use it on rare occassion, when it's unbearable. I was wondering, does anyone else out there have this problem? If so, what do you put on the skin to soothe it? The problem component of Carmex is salacylic acid.....but it's the camphor and other components that soothe and cool. I tried Bluestar ointment.....has camphor.....but no luck.Any ideas are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I would go to the baby aisle of the store and get any of the diaper rash creams. Those are designed for delicate tissue and I think Carmex or Bluestar would be too irritating. While the camphor can cool I don't know if it is good down there. I use A and D ointment but there are a variety of products (don't let cutsey names like butt paste fool you, a lot of them work great). I would put some on so it is in place before you have a bowel movement as they can also seal the skin from irritants like stool.

·
Registered
311 Posts
baby isle, indeed...........try desitin, amazing stuff, very healing..........i also have used vicks.........yes, vicks........it cools & numbs.............i have found that when any area on the body gets abraded & there is a problem with candida over-growth, it can very raw & painful..........then of course infection can follow..........

·
Registered
414 Posts
I always found the constant wiping and trying to get clean would make me very sore as well, so I found baby wipes were great. They clean you up without the constant wiping so helped the soreness a bit and were moisturising too. other than that I would use a cold wet cloth (dabbing) as that helped to take the acid away and cool it down a bit. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
or the pure Vasline cream for small cuts that can be found in CVS. it works really well :)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I have access to some great tea tree oil products. One in particular, similar to a petroleum jelly in consistency, was very useful when I went through what you are now going through. (The oil is an anti-bacterial, soothing, and penetrating and would help in healing the bleeding cracks.)I still use a tea tree body cream to clean up the old rectum at bed time. Where I used to be plagued with midnight itching, that is pretty well gone, now.Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
baby isle, indeed...........try desitin, amazing stuff, very healing..........i also have used vicks.........yes, vicks........it cools & numbs.............i have found that when any area on the body gets abraded & there is a problem with candida over-growth, it can very raw & painful..........then of course infection can follow..........
Uh, just for the purpose of clarification - are you referring to Vick's Vap-o-rub? The smelly stuff normaly rubbed on your chest when you have a cold?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have same problem but really itchy recently. Have found canestan cream really good although I don't think I have thrush it is very soothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problems you mention. I got to the point where the bleeding was not so much internal but more external from so much toilet paper use etc... A solution that I came up with when I was having 15-20 bowel moves daily was to use the shower instead of toilet paper to clean up afterwards. This may sound nasty, but it really helped with getting the healing process started around that part of my body. This is obviously only an option when you are at home because there are not showers you can jump into at work,public, restaurants etc... but you may want to consider that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I initially had these types of issues, I discovered something called Balneol which I love. I don't need it much anymore, but when I was having the soreness, you could use Balneol to clean you up down there and it also is partly a lotion which is very soothing.Hope that helps. I think there are also generic versions you can buy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Everyone,I'm just chiming in to give my two cents. Has anyone tried "Calmoseptine" ointment? It's an over the counter ointment, but you may have to ask for it at the pharmacy dept. It's a zinc oxide based product. If you Google it, you'll find information on this product. I have found it to work really well. When I had to do bowel preps for a couple of surgeries, my skin got raw from the numerous toilet visits. The ointment seemed to soothe as well as stop the discomfort very quickly. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try wild oregano oil diluted 3 drops to 15 drops of olive oil. Best thing I ever found. It has a warm feeling, but should not burn.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think it helps to reply to Kathleen's suggestion in a scornful way, we all have our favourite remedies and we should respect that other people are trying to help us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts