Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am here because i am hoping to talk to people with ibs and see what sort of things have helped with the varying symptoms of our shared disorder. My gastro doctor has pretty much said he had done all he can do and his advice on the pain was take tylenol. so, while i am in the process of finding a new doctor, i thought i would reach out to those who have ibs themselves and get a new helpful perspective. My main question right now, is that it seems sleep and lying down affects my symptoms. the symptoms are bad in teh mornings, and then if i lie down during the day it makes my symptoms bad again. I take Bentyl and Questran which have both been lifesavers, but has anyone else notices that lying down causes the symptoms to flair and perhps why that happens. unless it is the acid from the GERD that builds up in my esophagus lying down and then when i stand up or sit up it rushes into my stomach and intestines all at once causing a problem? At least, that is what it feels like. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I know at night the colon rests when you rest so that tends to keep symptoms at bay.However when you get up in the morning the colon wakes up and has a huge burst of activity. This is normal, but it can cause symptoms for IBSers as they tend to have more pain (and sometimes diarrhea or even a bunch of normal BM's) when the colon is more active.I'm not sure how naps work with the colon (if you get the same at rest then increase in activity thing).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its crazy how the morning affects your colon. Yesterday I was having quite an irritating day of trapped gas, and pains in all parts of my colon. I went to sleep and wow, 7 hours of great relief! Not a single issue, and I woke up twice in the night(I always wake up a few times in the night for no reason) and it was so good to lay there for a bit and actually feel my colon resting!After about 30 minutes of being up, I got gassy again and had to have a BM within the hour. Good ol' morning wakeup call!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see that is what i mean. after sleeping all night, within an hour of being awake, whether i have eaten or not eaten, or what i have eaten, the gas comes back and brings a large bm sometimes. laying down is a relief, but i know when i get up, it is gonna be hell to pay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.