Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OkayFor about a year now I've been taking over the counter sleeping pills so I don't get up in the middle of the night w/ IBS and also to help make me sleep because of anxiety.Is this dangerous? I've noticed that I'm chronically tired, could the pills be the cause?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Over the counter sleeping pills are usually just Benedryl under another name.I'm not sure how they interact with sleep cycles (like you sleep but it isn't as good a sleep). It just turns off the histamine in your head that is the stay awake signal...but I don't know if it mucks things up or not.You might try using melatonin at bedtime and see if that works for you. That is the natural go to sleep signalOK...looked it up, the antihistamines used as sleep aids can mess up the sleep cycle http://www.helpguide.org/aging/sleep_aids_...a_treatment.htm
quote:It should be noted that the sleep experienced while taking OTC sleep medications is not of the same quality as normal sleep. Some people who take OTC sleep medications spend as little as 5% of their total sleep time in deep sleep (compared to approximately 10-25% for healthy sleepers).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. I didn't take the sleeping pills last night and today I actually feel like a person that has some energy.Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used to take Tylenol PMs... and if I didn't get a full 8 hours of sleep.. total zombie. I think that there is always some risk of addiction with these pills, but I understand that it only takes a sleepless night or two to get on without them.My doctor has recommended Tylenol PM's as I have headaches and said she wasn't particularly worried about long term usage.But yes, without sleeping aids (if I can actually get sleep) I feel much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
quote:Originally posted by IBS_Queen:Hi Donnatal extend tebs are meant for people (like me) whom get IBS while sleeping it works great for me. Here is the link check it out for yourself. http://www.donnatal.com/
I used to take these, Donnatal. Then when I asked to start them again a few years ago my doc looked them up and prescribed me Belladonna/phenobarb and said they are the same thing. These are the pills they are acting funny about giving me refills on. I took Donnatal every day for years without a problem...works great...and these do too....I think they are the same thing...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yes, it is the same thing.. just the generic for Donnatal.As far as a sleeping agent, natural sleep is best.I actually was given a 3 month prescription to AMBIEN, but I only took it twice. One of the side effects was diarrhea, and I wasn't really sure if it was the IBS or the Ambien, but it just wasn't really worth it to me.I was having severe sleeping problems for quite some time.I can say that Ambien really does what it says.. It's so fast acting, works in about 30 minutes, and I was out like a light for 8 hours.. Really it was the best sleep of my life.Possibly get referred to someone who can help you with your problem.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only need sleeping pills when I have a bad bout of IBS at night or when I am having a bad anxiety attack.I am not going to do over the counter any longer. I was also doing Tylenol PMs but a number of other ones too.I think I'll just try something natural and see what happens.Also, maybe if I stop smoking that will chill me out. Oh, and the coffee of course.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just went off the coffee. It's been day number 2 and I think its helped the D. Although the headaches were HORRIBLE. Headaches and D --- just a bad mix... I'm still smoking... It's my vice for now.. I say every day I'm gonna quit...Roo.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Natural is best. Although I'm trying lunesta. My dr. just prescribed it. I'll let you know how it goes... It's supposed to be lighter than PMs or Benadryl (we'll see) but have the same affect as Soma or Ambien. And "supposedly" it is safe for long term use.I take AD's that keep me bouncing off walls so right now I need something to help me sleep. I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
22 Posts
for those of you who have mentioned quitting smoking, I did quit! I haven't smoked for 2 years and 5 months. If I can do it, anyone can. I was a chain smoker smoking at least 2 packs a day. And I smoked for 30 years!My hubby said I could do it but I didn't believe him. He quit years ago and said it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. and he was right. It was no piece of cake but it was quite do-able, even for me.So I hope you decide to give it a try...I didn't use patches or gum or anything because I was afraid I would get addicted to them like I did the cigarettes.Sorry, I guess this may be offtopic but wanted to share...and for those of you who do try to quit! Good for you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts